Monitor Audio PL200 or GX200?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is as subjective as it gets, and greatly depends on the upstream equipment used. IMO.Unless the PL200s have a sufficiently competant (expensive) amp and source behind them, then the GX200 is the better bet.

This is just my personal view

Cno

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agree with Cno. This is generalising, but an amp up to about £2/2.5k will suit the GX, above £2/2.5k, the PL. That's not to say you couldn't use a £5k pre/power with the GX200's (sounded great on the end of a Cyrus DACXP+ and a couple of Mono X300's), or a good quality sub £2k amp with a pair of PL200's.
I wouldn't say that the PL200's are twice as good. They're better, and built far better than the already well built GX's, but the PL's are worth twice their price for build and finish - top notch.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agree with Cno. This is generalising, but an amp up to about £2/2.5k will suit the GX, above £2/2.5k, the PL. That's not to say you couldn't use a £5k pre/power with the GX200's (sounded great on the end of a Cyrus DACXP+ and a couple of Mono X300's), or a good quality sub £2k amp with a pair of PL200's.
I wouldn't say that the PL200's are twice as good. They're better, and built far better than the already well built GX's, but the PL's are worth twice their price for build and finish - top notch.

mike43 said:
Regards. Monitor Audio PL200 or GX200?. Is it worth a sorrow paying the double for the PL200? .Thanks.

Hi mike43

What electronics and speakers do you currently use?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the sysem generally listen to ?

The size if your room?

Your general listening level?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thank you CnoEvil, FrankHarveyHiFi, MUSICRAFT....

I have a Cyrus Pre Xpd QX and two X-Power....

Nowadays I have a few Kef Q7 ..... I am in the habit of listening To Mike Oldfield and music pop/rock, instrumental...

My room has 30m2.

What do I do?.Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thank you CnoEvil, FrankHarveyHiFi, MUSICRAFT.... I have a Cyrus Pre Xpd QX and two X-Power.... Nowadays I have a few Kef Q7 ..... I am in the habit of listening To Mike Oldfield and music pop/rock, instrumental... My room has 30m2. What do I do?.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advice is more "hunch" than experience, as I'm not a Cyrus fan and MA wouldn't be my first choice.......though it may have to suffice till you get first hand info.

I suspect that your Cyrus pre/powers are certainly up to the job....with either speaker. You need to do an in store demo with this combo, and bring home your preferred choice for a trial as well.

With the money you are prepared to spend, you should also listen to other makes (to rule them out), like Spendor, Proac, PMC, Sonus Faber etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts