Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 vs Q Acoustics 3020?

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Q Acoustics 2020 (not 2020i). I like the 2020's but find they are lacking a little on the high end. I'm looking for tight bass where I can follow the bass line (not necessarily bass to rattle the windows though), good detailed mids to hear all the voices and instruments and highs that shine. A lot to ask for I know in a budget speaker.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
What's your amp & source? It may help others make more meaningful suggestions.

The BX2 is being discounted now since the arrival of its successor the Bronze 2, so I can understand their appeal. For their price point they're beautifully made and finished too. I love their treble, but their bass may depend on your amp as much as anything.

Have you considered used? If you know what you're looking for you can get some super deals on the 'Bay and it might just enable you to look at the next step up for the same outlay.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Leeps said:
What's your amp & source? It may help others make more meaningful suggestions.

The BX2 is being discounted now since the arrival of its successor the Bronze 2, so I can understand their appeal. For their price point they're beautifully made and finished too. I love their treble, but their bass may depend on your amp as much as anything.

Have you considered used? If you know what you're looking for you can get some super deals on the 'Bay and it might just enable you to look at the next step up for the same outlay.

My amp is Marantz PM6004, source Freesat Box, Fm Radio, Vinyl, Cassette, CD and DVDs. I'm not looking for huge bass, it's more important for me to be able to pick out the individual notes in a bass line. I often feel sorry for the Bass players who have worked so hard and chances are that their efforts just sound like a background rumble. Like wise the drummer who is also working hard and the cymbals and hi-hat are hiding in the background.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I can say little more than I personally like the BX2's. Their tweeter (shared with the Radius, Apex and Silver ranges) is sparkly, spacious and hits a lovely balance to my ear. Piano notes are perfect.

Marantz amps are known for their relative warmth compared to other manufacturers, so you seem to currently have a slightly warm amp running slightly warm speakers which is exacerbating the effect. So your choices to pepp things up a little are to introduce more forward speakers (like the BX2's) or a more peppy amp (like the Cambridge 651A for example).

The BX2's are well made and usefully front-ported so aren't overly fussy with positioning. But I would still recommend bothering to take your amp to your local Richer Sounds and listening to the combo for yourself before parting with the cash. You might also consider KEF Q100's which are more forward again should the MA's not have quite enough sparkle for you. Their treble can be a bit too much for my taste, but your Marantz might just smooth out the treble nicely.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your advice so far. I am torn between the Q Acoustics 3020's and Monitor Audio BX2's. I need to decide very soon because I want them for the Christmas holiday. I have read that the 3020's are more forward than the 2020's but as they are new to the market i'm finding it difficult to find many people here who actually own a pair. The reviews on the web seem to be very positive with people mentioning the good highs on the 3020's. I am a little perplexed as to why people on this forum are trying to steer me away from the 3020's if they have not really experienced them? I think the only way to find out is try a pair and send them back if they don't meet expectations.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, I finally made up my mind and decided to go with the 3020's. I read somewhere that the Monitor Audio Bx2's need quite a bit of power to drive them properly so my Marantz might not have enough guts, also I do like the sound of my 2020's so I think it would be a gamble to change brand. Anyway, I will let you all know what I think of the 3020's when I get them. And if there is little improvement on the 2020's then you can all say "I told you so" and perhaps I will be trying some different speakers next Christmas time.Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.[/b]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts