monitor audio advice please

Taj27

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

At present i have Yamaha aventage A810 amp running new monitor audio R90's as fronts & a new R200 centre (& the previous MA R370HD sub)

I am looking for rear surrounds just to have 5.1 - question is i was going to get another set of R90's for the rear but we have our settee along the back wall & was wondering about the MA bronze FX range. Would it be bad to mix & match ranges - i know the general is to have the same range, but as they are only going to be used periodically, would it be so bad? They would sit nicley on the back wall where as the R90's would look a tad in your face either side of the seating.

OR

as i miss my BR2's as fronts, then i got MA BX5's as fronts i miss the 'full' sound stage unless i use the sub. Would MA Silver 1's be a good choice as main fronts (mainly music) & then put up with the R90's as rear surrounds & try point them in more if i want movie surround?

Any advixe please, thanks. (oh & im after all white speakers)

Tim

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with above comments. Stick with one range OR the other. Mixing and matching doesn't work very well, even within MA's own ranges having some similarities with one another.

For a time I had MA Golds on the front with Radius R90HD rears. Just didn't work because the Radius speakers were so much more peppy and exciting, so even with the volume turned down on the rears, they tended to dominate the overall mix. Whereas Radius all round was great. For movies that had a lot of panning (like "Unstoppable") there's something very right about tweeters and drivers matching one another exactly around the room, and that's also true of multi-channel music.

Not sure on your room size and shape, but if you can, ultimately I'd really recommend the R270 fronts. They're a significant step up from the R90HD's as they add a great deal more in the midrange.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite really because I now have Apex fronts and Radius rears, but for surround it's not as successful as my previous R270/R250/R90 set-up. At some point the aim is to go entirely for one range. If you were fixed on the FX style rears, I'd recommend going for the matching fronts, whether from the Bronze or Silver range.

If you did go for the Radius R90 rears, would having them in white make them visually less obtrusive?

Taj27

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
thank you for all the replies. I have all white at present & will probably end up with another set of R90's for the rear then, as i got the R90's to get the floor space - i had BX5's & BX centre & BX1's as rears previous. However im missing the full range from the front & always using the sub to get the range when just playing music. Not complaing as i & my friends are really impressed with the quality (& volume) from such a neat compact speaker!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts