Momentum 2 vs. SRH1540

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD250 Linear headphones since the mid-eighties and although I still love them to bits, technology will surely have moved on since then, so I'm currently looking around to see what, in today's market, might match up to them.

I'm only considering closed-back over-ear headphones; I'm not about to consider a separate headphone amp (my trusty Marantz amplifier does the business for me still). I listen to CDs, HD TV and Blu-ray discs late into the night. I listen exclusively at home in the sitting room and therefore have no need (or desire) to take them out of the house (I have no mobile or 'smart' devices of any kind).

Two models have caught my attention by virtue of their specification and good reviews: Sennheiser Momentum 2 and Shure SRH1540. I don't have a hi-fi outlet near me where I could maybe try and compare these cans, so I was wondering if anyone on here might be able offer their opinion.

I'm not too worried about the cost - there happens to be about £130 difference between them - it's long term comfort and best sound quality that I'm after.

D

Deleted member 108165

Rupert said:
I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD250 Linear headphones since the mid-eighties and although I still love them to bits, technology will surely have moved on since then, so I'm currently looking around to see what, in today's market, might match up to them.

I'm only considering closed-back over-ear headphones; I'm not about to consider a separate headphone amp (my trusty Marantz amplifier does the business for me still). I listen to CDs, HD TV and Blu-ray discs late into the night. I listen exclusively at home in the sitting room and therefore have no need (or desire) to take them out of the house (I have no mobile or 'smart' devices of any kind).

Two models have caught my attention by virtue of their specification and good reviews: Sennheiser Momentum 2 and Shure SRH1540. I don't have a hi-fi outlet near me where I could maybe try and compare these cans, so I was wondering if anyone on here might be able offer their opinion.

I'm not too worried about the cost - there happens to be about £130 difference between them - it's long term comfort and best sound quality that I'm after.

Personally I love Senns, I own HD598, HD650 and RS 220's, but I've always lusted after a pair of SRH1540's. I don't own a pair but firmly believe that the Shures would trounce the Momentum's regarding comfort and sound quality.

Ultimately I guess headphone-man Dale Thorn would be the guy with the answers to your questions.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
Rupert said:

Personally I love Senns, I own HD598, HD650 and RS 220's, but I've always lusted after a pair of SRH1540's. I don't own a pair but firmly believe that the Shures would trounce the Momentum's regarding comfort and sound quality.

Ultimately I guess headphone-man Dale Thorn would be the guy with the answers to your questions.

I haven't heard the Momentum-2, but I'll assume it's similar to the first one. The 1540 is more accurate in some ways, but it's different enough it's hard to compare. If I were playing mostly 70's and 80's pop-rock, I think the Momentum would be bliss. But for EDM and other genres I'd probably choose the 1540. But one caveat - where Shure had an amazingly flat response with the 1840, with a weak lower bass, the 1540 is solid and detailed bass-wise, but even darker or more relaxed on the high end than the Momentum. Now the fit is also quite different - the 1540 cups are big enough for most ears I think, but the angle is fixed, so be prepared to rotate the headband a little forward or backward to get the earcups aligned for your head and ears. I traded off my 1540 when I thought it was too dark, but I wish now I hadn't - it's a real quality sound like the 1840, just in a different flavor. And with a good soundstage for a closed headphone.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
Knew you were the guy for this Dale *smile*

Thanks - but keep in mind these are very different designs. To me the Momentum is like the Beamer 735i that I drove a long time ago. You slide in and it fits like a glove. But the 1540 is a little more industrial and bulky, so there's quite a difference besides sound.

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you DougK and dalethorn for your informative replies.

The Momentum 2 review did mention the larger elliptical earcup size, so I would guess comfort and fit-wise they're going to score well on that count. Having said that, I'm used to moving the headband around to find the most comfortable fit .. it depends if I'm sitting bolt upright or slouching in a semi reclining position!

I've always loved bass and usually tune in naturally to the bassline of any recording (I used to play bass and still have one at home, where I can continue to be a legend in my own bedroom) so faithful rendition in that quarter will always sway me (the HD250s perform well in that regard). As I'm now starting to lose some of the edge from the top end of my hearing range, true treble reproduction without any hint of harshness will also be a given (again, the HD250s continue to delight me).

As I said at the outset, I'm merely seeing what closed cans could out perform the HD250s today. Seems both the Momentum 2 and the SRH1540 could well do this. Somehow I'll have to try and get me to a hi-fi shop and try them. Failing that, when it comes to it, I'll probably go for the devil I know and stick with the Sennheisers.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I would go for AKG K550 - you can buy these for £100 and they to my ears are better sounding than the Shure 1540's.

I believe they have won awards for a few years now and they are phenomenal. Really accurate to the recording. I find Shure have a veil to their sound which to my ears is not my cup of tea. The AKG'S are great with all genres of music. For the money of less than £100 they are a steal. They are very accurate to the recording of a cd. play them badly recorded music and they will sound terrible. but play them good recordings and you are in for a treat.

The only closed headphone which beats the AKG is the Fostex and Audeze, but at over £1000 you would expect them to.

Best closed back headphone I have tried bar Fostex and Audeze LCD-X3, and I have tried many including the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Ultrasone Pro 900, B&W P5, German Maestro 450's. The AKG'S are better than these.

Use a good headphone amp and source and they will give you aural pleasure.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/all-headphones/akg/k550/akg-k550-blk

Here is a fab review from inner fidelity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

happy listening.

Rich

TRENDING THREADS