Mission M74 help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there.

I'm in the process of replacing my Marantz Sr5200 with a Denon 1910 (should arrive Monday) it was replaced due to lack of audio sync and since getting my LCD some year and a bit ago the amp hasn't been used due to this reason, so it made sense to replace it.

One thing I'm left with is a cracking pair of Mission M74's. I love them. Amazing bass and clear as a summers day whatever volume. My problem is that I really want 5.1, and at worst I am willing to sacrifice my M74's for this (something like Q A's 2000 or Mordaunt S Alunmi) but would really like some options of keeping the M74's, matching them with a centre and some rears.

I've been looking around for second hand M5DS or M7DS rears and the MC something for the centre, but been outbidded for these, even ones in average condition are going for a pretty penny if you can find them.

Since I've had my missions it seems they are not top of the pile or 5* speakers any more so getting new missions doesn't seem like the right answer either. Would it just be best to get what i can for the missions and get a new full package? Will i miss the music ability of them when using a 5.1?

Thanks.

Steven.

A

Anonymous

Anyone any ideas?

Also considering the KEF 2005.3 K1 at £500, though only getting 4* from yourselves is putting me off slightly, though I'm sure you reviewed it at £800 so that the difference in price could maybe rate it slightly higher.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You will be disappointed with the 2005's after owning the M74's.

If you really want to keep them, you'll have to bite the bullet and pay what is needed for a matching centre and rears, although you could use any Missions for the rear as the rears aren't as important as getting a front L/C/R match. Even if they cost you more than you expected to pay, you don't have to rush to get the rears - even just having the front 3 will be better than using a 5.1 based on small speakers.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
You will be disappointed with the 2005's after owning the M74's.

If you really want to keep them, you'll have to bite the bullet and pay what is needed for a matching centre and rears, although you could use any Missions for the rear as the rears aren't as important as getting a front L/C/R match. Even if they cost you more than you expected to pay, you don't have to rush to get the rears - even just having the front 3 will be better than using a 5.1 based on small speakers.

Thanks for the reply, i'm 99% sure i bought the Denon amp off you on Thursday afternoon after seeing your posts on another forum. A shop in Coventry right?

So matching up the centre speaker is priority then getting any kind of rears will do. (or specifically missions?)

One thing I thought about doing was building a Q Acoustics package with a pair of 2050 floorstanders, 2000c for centre and two 2010's for rears and not bothering with a sub; what is your opinion on that?

Thanks

Steven.

A

Anonymous

cheyworth:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mission-m7-c2-centre-speaker-/220621366157?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item335e0ee38d

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mission-M7C2-Center-Speaker-/130398406411?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1e5c59c70b

should both match up well.

Chris

Hi Chris, i think those are different to the centres i was originally looking at so thanks for that, the second one is a clone of the M74's so I will keep an eye out for them, shame no delivery, but i'll ask them to see if they will post.

Cheers.

Steven

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Dokko:Thanks for the reply, i'm 99% sure i bought the Denon amp off you on Thursday afternoon after seeing your posts on another forum. A shop in Coventry right?Hi Steven, that's right
emotion-1.gif

So matching up the centre speaker is priority then getting any kind of rears will do. (or specifically missions?)I wouldn't say 'any' speakers - keeping them Mission will help. What I meant was, you could use Mission rears from another range, rather than just trying to get the specific ones from the M7 series.

One thing I thought about doing was building a Q Acoustics package with a pair of 2050 floorstanders, 2000c for centre and two 2010's for rears and not bothering with a sub; what is your opinion on that?If you want to change them, I'd recommend a demo so you can hear for yourself. Having not heard the 2050's, I wouldn't be able to say either way whether they would improve on the Missions, or whether this might end up being a side step.

A

Anonymous

Cheers.

Think I will try my best over the next couple of weeks to piece together a Mission 5.0 setup, if I can't get the right equipment second hand then I will have to consider my other options, though doing it the Mission way will be my cheapest option it seems, even if i pay over the odds for the stuff I need.

Thanks again for your help...and my soon to be new amp :)

Steven

A

Anonymous

Well this is my first set up and I think it sounds great:

Daimond 9.1 L/R

Dali Ikon Centre

Mordaunt Short Alumni Rear

RSW12 Subwoofer.

Yes I know they are all different and my centre should be the same, but I can hear any difference to the centre and R/L , Maybe if I was listning to music it would be more noticible but I am happy for now, until I get something great on sale.

A

Anonymous

Well I managed to pick up a pair of Mission M5DS from ebay for £60 delivered, which is an acceptable price imo.

Fingers crossed I have similar luck for the centre speaker.

A

Anonymous

Well I'm having massive problems securing a M7C2, there's quite a few M7C1's about but i've heard they are too lightweight to partner the M74's and I need something with a proper cabinet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts