Mission Cyrus 2 - blown output transistors?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have an elderly Mission Cyrus 2 . The speaker cables have touched - shorted something - now it doesn't work. I understand this amp didn't have protection circuitry built in. What's likely to have blown and what's the likely cost of repair?

Thanks in advance Tonky

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It has probably only blown the O/P transistors and possibly the drivers. If I remember correctly, depending on which version you have it uses BUV28 power transistors, there about £4 each along with a couple of power rail fuses. Total cost of the repair should be in the region of £35 - £50 I would say.

Why don't you give it a go yourself, the cyrus 2 is pretty straight forward to repair and the service manual is readily available.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you really short circuit both channels ?

There could be some fuses in there too, which might have blown instead of the transistors ?! I don't know. But in the other case the other "poster" is wright: look at the transistors. The service manual is downloadable from the Cyrus-site.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes- both channels - That's what I get for trusting my daughter. I distinctly remember saying "Be careful with those speaker cables"! And now she is using my original cambridge A and R A60 amp. So far it's ok!

Thanks for your advice - tonky

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It was described as a very good (neutral) amp in those times, i can remember. I have auditioned it because i was looking for new speakers then (1988). They demoed the speakers with it. I also heard the Cyrus 3 when i was looking for a new amp. It sounded much too bright for me.

For 7 years i'm into valves (warm and not as tight in the bass, but what colours!) and i'm not gonna return.

Still a repair might be worth the effort because Cyrus 2's a classic, yes.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
In its day it was hi fi nirvana - euphonic heaven! But by todays standards it's not powerful enough and it is a little too warm and lacking control in the bass.

tonky

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It's the A60 which is overly warm and loose in the bass. The Cyrus 2 is starkly revealing (maybe too much so) and its bass wass tight,punchy and well defined.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts