Mission 753 speakers

seashell

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
 Someone is giving away some Mission 753 on freecycle, apparently the bass is 'broken', anyone have any ideas how much this may cost to repair?

Or even how good are these speakers? i've never had chance to hear them. 

T

the record spot

Superb speakers, from their mid-90s heyday and picked up a stack of good reviews. Designed by Mission's Henry Azima and part of the company's excellent 75 series range, they are a fine speaker, but thrive on similarly excellent amplification.

You can check with Mission in Huntingdon about replacement bass drivers for the missing parts. I'd check what the seller means by "broken" though; the 753 has 4 mid/bass drivers, so you need to be clear about the amount of damage done.

mission_753_freedom.jpg

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I seem to recall reading recently that the drivers are quite cheap, maybe less than £25.

But as RS says, with eight it could be a costly exercise. Having said that, a pair of Freedoms sold on Ebay recently for £375.

T

the record spot

Do check though; if one bass driver's gone, then fine, you can probably get something from Mission if they still carry spare parts. However, if crossovers and bass units are finished, then you need to factor in the cost of the repair work, so part and labour costs could mount up.

Great speakers though; however you can usually pick a pair up for between £200-£300 for the standard pair (pre-Freedom range) which are highly rated by many as well. Different strokes...

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Crocodile:I seem to recall reading recently that the drivers are quite cheap, maybe less than £25.

Just had a dig & the gist seems to be that the original parts are no longer available but M34i drivers are "compatible". I would expect that to maintain some degree of sonic consistency, you'd have to replace all the drivers. Sorry I can't link as the site is disapproved of by this one.

This is pretty much uneconomical & the end result could be questionable as to how it would compare to the original sound.

T

the record spot

I concur. The M34i would be a poor replacement. Seek out a pair on Ebay or Gumtree, alternatively, there is the rest of the 75 range - 751 and 752 - which are available for the kind of money you would spend on a pair of Tannoy F1s (£100).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As others have said, with a conventional two-way, a pair with a shot driver might not be too much of a risk, provided the OE unit or a suitable replacement is available. But the sheer number of drive units on the 753s, excellent speakers though they are, makes this something of a lottery.

That said, if they're being given away, may be worth grabbing and trying - you could always Freecycle them on...

A

Anonymous

my dog chewed the centres outta mine a few years ago and they are a standard fit/replacement unit . they cost £15 each to fix.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts