Mission 753 (non-freedom)

trelello

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a pair of Mission 753s connected to a Marantz PM66-SE (I'll be changing this for an Audiolab 8000a any day now), and my sources are a NAD 533 with an Ortofon 2M, and my lap top, which I bluetooth to the HiFi via an Arcam Miniblink. There's a lot to like about the sound I get from it all, but its extremely bass-light (I was previously using a pair of Tannoy 632s, which were bassier). I understand that the 753s are famous for not being overly bassy, but I'm pretty sure I should be getting more than I am. The manual says that the speakers should be within 30cm of a wall, which simply isn't possible in my living room; they're currently around 40cm forward of a (hideous B&Q Rococo) fireplace (I'm also not able to get them the recommended two metres apart). I'm wondering if this may be the source of the problem, and, in the absence of an available wall, if there's anything I can do (perhaps there's something I could put behind them for example). Or maybe it has nothing to do with positioning at all, and its just a sub-optimal partnering of components. Either way, suggestions would be very much welcomed.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
my guess would be speaker positioning is the issue, however if your room limits where you can place the speakers not sure what to advise. I have my missions set up about 2.5m apart and I'm seated roughly the same away from them, you can really hear the sweet spot and the bass, to the point where if you move forwards or backwards by 1ft the bass drops off! Best advise is move around the room listening and see if the bass increases / decreases and try and find the best positioning (assuming you havent done this already)

trelello

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply Philpot1001, I've agonised so much over the placement of the speakers that it hadn't occured to me to consider moving myself... I'm away from home for a few days, but, if I can get away with it, I'll have a go at shifting some chairs around when I get back to the flat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts