Minimum listening distance for Wharfdale 121’s?

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Since buying my Marantz MCR603, auditioning various speakers and eventually plumping for the Wharfdale 121’s, I have now acquired a set of floorstanders at a ridiculously low price. Having deliberated about trying to return the Wharfdales or sell them, what I’m now thinking is keeping them as a second set of speakers positioned either side of my desk, so I can listen in stereo whilst working, and switch to the floorstanders (which are either side of my TV at right angles to my desk) when in my listening/viewing seat.

So, before I start shifting furniture around to try this, what is the minimum distance for listening to these speakers i.e how close is it advisable to get? It’s looking like I will have them several feet to each side of me, but only about 18in in front, though I would tow them in so they would point directly at my ears.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Wharfedale generally reco. about 2m. As you have them already why not try them out. For computer I would generally go for some small active speakers (studio monitors) like Behringer or the Seiwin SN-4A.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not the same model, but I tried an earlier model of Diamonds (Active 7.1) with a computer for near-field monitoring and found they were a bit rubbish when you got too close. No bass and poor imagery were the biggest problems. Move back a few feet and the bass came back and everything snapped into focus. But that didn't help for close-up listening.

I think you'd be better off selling the Diamonds and buying a pair of active near-field monitors. I use Alesis M1 520 USBs which not only are active but they have a built-in USB DAC (and a 16/44 ADC). Highly recommend you add them to your auditions list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts