Minimal speaker set for Home Theater

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Looking into an SVS article on choosing between "small" and "large" settings for speakers, I noticed a picture with two large towers complemented with a center speaker in the section discussing the case of no sub. Is this a proper minimal speaker set for Home Theater?

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The idea is to buy the Pioneer VSX-534, and connect the "Zone B" stereo outputs to the Cambridge Audio CXA80 I own. The AV amp will power the center channel only. Delivering the low notes from a big floorstander is better done from a powerful stereo amplifier.

The idea is to buy the Pioneer VSX-534, and connect the "Zone B" stereo outputs to the Cambridge Audio CXA80 I own. The AV amp will power the center channel only. Delivering the low notes from a big floorstander is better done from a powerful stereo amplifier.
Without me having to look at the manuals, by what means do you propose connecting Pioneer to Cambridge?

If you’ve not get bought the AV amp, I’d strongly recommend choosing something that stands alone - I.e. doesn’t need some extra amp.

Last edited:
Looking into an SVS article on choosing between "small" and "large" settings for speakers, I noticed a picture with two large towers complemented with a center speaker in the section discussing the case of no sub. Is this a proper minimal speaker set for Home Theater?
It’s an option that probably suits some folk. I’m not sure quite what ‘a proper minimal speaker set for Home Theatre’ is though, as I’ve not heard that terminology before.

I think SVS are simply showing the possible permutations they’ve been asked about. Surely they’d like to sell you one or two subs, as that’s their speciality!

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The "Zone B" outputs are supposed to send the audio to another room, in stereo format. That means one can use the particular AVR as a DAC with massive power reserves! That is if one forgoes the center channel, and you probably must because otherwise the content for the center channel will be at +3db boost. Probably weird.

As I think about it, the idea is to get towers for front speakers and a center channel so that the dialogue is clear at all times. They say that operating without a sub (and assuming an AVR) "puts a real strain on the amps and robs the midrange drivers and tweeters of the power they need to create an expansive soundstage with massive dynamic impact".

As stereo amps don't suffer from that after a certain price limit (assuming class A/B operation), the Cambridge Audio CXA80 has a shot I think. They are not supposed to be combined with a sub, after all.

Ok, so now I understand that you’re sending this stereo signal elsewhere, but of course that then does not cater for a Centre speaker - at least not if using a stereo Cambridge amp - because what your quoted SVS page shows is an AV amp connected.

The wording about needing ‘…massive… impact…’ is hyperbole from a sub manufacturer - though generally I think that SVS are an excellent source of practical guidance, not to mention making brilliant subs.

Reactions: WayneKerr

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Returning to the combo with the center speaker, it's an interesting alternative to a budget 5.1 system in that you can exchange the satellites and the sub for towers with larger cones and a twice as expensive AVR. What you get is that you can hear sounds that produce low notes and don't go to the LFE with better bass extension. This includes closing doors and firearms going off. It is weird when a part of those sounds comes from the sub. The center channel adds an extra sound source (wihich unlike the LFE is distinguished spatially by the human ear) so you don't loose everything from the surround experience. I could be wrong though as I haven't yet experimented with a center channel.

When I had a Denon AVR with KEF Egg satellites they need the sub. But I hated the miles of wire and the holes in the wall to mount the speakers. Simple stereo with admittedly quite good hifi sounded much better all round to my ears. But that was 15 years ago when my TV had an analogue output.

I thought the centre speaker was mostly for dialogue, but see how you find it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts