Mini HiFi vs Separates + DAC (on a budget!)

joelw

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm new to all this and looking at getting a HiFi set up around my MacBook Pro. My budget is £400 absolute max. I have heard the Dali Zensor 1s and would really like to have them as part of my system (at £180 RRP). I was wondering about DACs and whether the quality of the amp is more important than having a DAC or vice-versa? I am looking at budget amps such as the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 but could stretch to a slightly more expensive model if it makes a big difference to the sound.

The other option, instead of building a system from separate units, is the Denon DM39 mini-hifi unit. The reason for looking at this unit is that it has an optical input which I could connect to from my MacBook and therefore use the system's on-board DAC, although I have no idea what the quality of this DAC would be?

Thanks,

Joel.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you willing to consider buying second hand kit? If so, you could put together a reasonable budget separates system that I expect would blow the Denon away. People on here will be able to point you in the right direction on second hand components if you are.

matthewpiano

I'd give the Topaz range a miss. The sound lacks finesse (as you'd expect at the price) and channel balance at low volume levels is very poor. If you can stretch to an Azur 351A then go for it as it is a cracking amp but otherwise I'd look at other brands.

See what price you can get a NAD C316BEE at or even consider a pre-owned C320BEE, C325BEE or C326BEE. These are all excellent amplifiers which would work well with the Dali speakers. NAD's amps punch way above their price point. Another good match with Dali is Marantz so keep a look out for a PM5004 or, better, a second hand PM6003. Any of these will give you far more performance than the Topaz.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Another thought: If you like the Dali sound you might want to consider the older Lektor 2s. Should be able to pick a used pair of these up for the same, or maybe less, money than the Zensor 1s, which might give you more bang for your pound.

joelw

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response guys! James, I would definitely consider second hand kit. Where do you reckon would be the best place to start looking?

Matthew, I see the Azue 351A has a built-in DAC, do you know how good the quality of it is? Obviously it would make more sense to buy an amp like this with an integrated DAC than spend extra on two separates.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts