Miller and Kreisel speaker reviews

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

Seeing as some Miller and Kreisel speakers are THX certified and are used by some film studios for their sound mixing, why are there no what hifi reviews on them?

Is anyone using these speakers for their setup?

A

Anonymous

We used M&K speaker systems for years in our reference system: my favourite iteration used three S-150 front speakers, two pairs of SS-150 Tripole rears and a pair of MX-350THX subwoofers (fed by a Lexicon processor and Bryston powers: it was a bit good!).

We reviewed many other M&K systems in that period, including the smaller, sleeker S-125 speakers, the 750THX package, the compact K-series satellites and more. We've also used M&K speaker systems for at least two major public demonstrations I've been involved in (and I've been involved in a lot).

You may be aware that M&K went bankrupt in 2007, and had to close its Californian factory after 30-odd years. Ken Kreisel parted company with the brand shortly afterwards: subsequently it relocated its head office to Denmark, along with the remaining members of the original M&K design team.

Despite this setback, we've maintained good relations with the long-standing UK importer of the brand, Rob Sinden of Gecko home cinema, and in the November 2008 Ultimate Guide to Blu-ray we reviewed the company's new M-7 system, produced out of its new factory in Denmark (it got five stars, by the way). Apologies if this review doesn't appear in our Buying Guide: it certainly ought to.

The next M&K review will be appearing in the April 2010 issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, on sale March 10th. It's the 950 series system, comprising (in this case) three LCR950 fronts, an MX350THX sub (not the normal MX250 model) plus a pair of Tripole rears. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the issue has gone on sale to find out how it got on...

A

Anonymous

Thanks AK

You mention the S150 and the SS150 which i have been looking at and which i think have been around for a while,how do they compare to other speakers or other MK speakers?

A

Anonymous

guyan123:

Hello

Seeing as some Miller and Kreisel speakers are THX certified and are used by some film studios for their sound mixing, why are there no what hifi reviews on them?

M&K have quite a following in the AV world

D

Deleted member 2457

Look forward to reading the reviews.

Nice one.

A

Anonymous

gel:

Look forward to reading the reviews.

Nice one.

Agree a good reason for me to buy Aprils edition , look forward to it

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll be borrowing a set of 950's for a couple of weeks to compare to my S150's. I'll do a little write up on it if people are interested - nothing technical, just thoughts and observations.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Been waiting for a review of the 950s so i'll be looking forward to read the review. Got the M7 system last year after upgrading from a K7 system (now alpha series fantastic value speakers at todays prices) which i had for 6+ years. Am more than happy with the M7 but am hearing the sirens calling of some 950's which i'm desperately trying to resist (well maybe not that desperately) but finding it hard to ignore.

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

I'll be borrowing a set of 950's for a couple of weeks to compare to my S150's. I'll do a little write up on it if people are interested - nothing technical, just thoughts and observations.

Alway's interested, nice one.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

dave how did the 950's compare to your 150's ? I heard the 150's a couple of weeks ago at a friends and i was blown away, they would probably be to big for my room so if the 950's are comparable im sold. I would be upgrading in steps,the front 3 in december the the rears then the sub.cheers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It didn't happen in the end. The extremely wise owner of the distribution company that supplies MK in this country decided that the main store in the UK that promoted and supported the brand wasn't doing exactly that and closed the account.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
It didn't happen in the end. The extremely wise owner of the distribution company that supplies MK this country decided that the main store in the UK that promoted and supported the brand wasn't doing exactly that and closed the account.

ok david thanks for the reply. Did you spend any time at all with the 950's when you had them in store?

A

Anonymous

guyan123:

Hello

You might consider buying this months WHF as there is a supplement with it on high end systems

There is reference / article relating to a M&K 950's setup

I get the feeling that David is distancing himself from M&K considering the way Gecko have treated the company he works for.

He was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of M&K , way beyond that of an employee , I commend him and hope my comments do not offend or sound patronising as he is well able to speak for himself.

There action in my view is anti competitive , anti consumer and product manipulative , there action and the reasons behind it would probably be illegal in the US

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
How about a review of the S150, SS150 and MX350 sub system setup in the magazine please guys?

The other well known HC mag reviewed them recently.

TRENDING THREADS