Micro system needing new speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello

We've got a Panasonic SA-PM15 system and we'd like to put this in to our kitchen but unfortunately the speakers were damaged a while back during transit so they were binned.

Now the speaker connections are a little unusual; the system has 2 lots of cables for the speakers. Normal RED & BLACK wires for the LOW frequency (2 cables per speakers) but they then require another 2 cables (RED & BLACK again) but they both connect via a single phono plug connection into the HIGH frequency.

The system is rated at 66wpc @ 6 ohms.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about connecting this system to a pair of normal speakers (i.e. Tannoy F1's)?

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Here's an idea Chris

Some pictures (via Photobucket) as well as a view of the connections from the manual).

I'm just guessing that I'd be able to splice the speaker cable which has the phono connection on, attach it to normal speaker cable and then plug that into the HF on the speakers and then just attach the other cables to the speakers LF...

But...

I could be wrong!

Pics:

Panasonicspeakerconnections.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

A

Anonymous

Are you sure that both of those types of connectors are needed to connect any speakers ? How about the ones that came with it ? Maybe black/red (+/-) is enough ? Can you not try with any speakers ? If both are needed then I guess you have a problem ??

matthewpiano

Actually I don't think there is a way round it. I seem to remember seeing a similar arrangement on a friend's Technics midi. We weren't able to make any other speakers work properly with it. Stupid design.

A

Anonymous

"Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about connecting this system to a pair of normal speakers (i.e. Tannoy F1's)?"

Yes. Contact Panasonic and ask :)

A

Anonymous

I also tried a Technics system once that had a similar setup. Its native speakers sounded good. I thought I could connect as regular bi-wire to Monitor BR2s - they sounded awful. There was no bass and treble was way too overemphasized. I decided they weren't meant to be biwired to a normal speaker!

So go back to Panas and ask them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts