Micro system connected to Amp?

mindmenglish

May 29, 2013
Visit site
My 17yr old sony cd player died. The cheapest cd player (marantz cd5004) cost the same as my denon pm520ae amp which i think its not worth it since i only have like 20 cds and more of a itunes guy. I also just bought an ipod classic so i need a dock.

My cheapest option is to get a apple dock and a cheap sony dvd player for cd listening. But then i saw some budget sony, phillips, pioneer, jvc micro cd system with 10 rms power with ipod dock that cost as a budget blu ray player.

Is it a good idea if i buy those, ditch the speakers and use the micro amp as source connected to my denon amp? Is the sound much better than a cheap dvd player? Would this setup blow up or damage my denon amp or anything?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Why not rip your CDs to iTunes (preferably lossless) and not worry about anything to play physical discs? Then I'd want to get a digital dock so that I could use a better DAC for the files on the iPod. Some docks even have a DAC built in.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
It's do-able, but usually micros will not have a pre-out socket, so you'll be stuck using a Y-cable from the headphone output to feed the amp. You shouldn't do any damage to the amp provided you don't overload the inputs by cranking the micro's volume control too high- ideally you need to get the level approximately the same as a standalone CD player, to much could blow the inputs (unlikely but certainly possible), too low and the amp could clip if trying to massively amplify a puny signal. Set a level and perhaps mark the volume control in some way, so you know for next time!

EDIT Derp. Too early for me. You could always use the tape-out sockets... :oops:

TRENDING THREADS