MF X10-D problems

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I purchased my X10-D some time ago S/H from a cash converters type place that didn't know what it was (£45 bargain)

It worked brilliantly for about a year but then started causing more distortion than pleasure, recently I purchaced some nos tesla e88cc goldpins to see if the valves were the problem.

No joy same problem!

It sounds brill at low volumes but as soon as I turn my stereo up it distorts.

atm I have it inbetween my ipod dock and arcam av200 connected with a qed J2P and SHB avitar.

I have had it between my av and arcam fmjp25 in the past too just before it started distorting.

I had left it switched on for a few weeks prior to this so this makes me wonder about the PSU? its just a cheap 12v 500ma that they gave me in the shop when I bought it, could this be the problem? any guidance on a new PSU?

cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
But given that the unit is between source and amplifier, I don't see how it can change its sound/distortion characteristics depending on how far up the amp is turned, unless (and this is very unlikely) something inside is loose, and is being affected by vibration from a nearby speaker.

You might be able to find a used or replacement power supply for the unit - either the standard plug-top one or an X-PSU - but I'm not confident this will be a surefire solution to the problems you're experiencing.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry as this might not be the same case for X-10D. I had the same problem of distortion from my XA50 monoblock. It was solved by pulling out the RCA cable connected between the monoblock and integretaed amp and putting it back together. But then it reoccur the next day so sent in for servicing.

The technician showed me that there were deteriorated soldering in the components. He resoldered these parts and voila, the distortaion never happened again. And it only costs me 20 quid.

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys,

it is causing so much volume loss that I do have to turn the amp right up before I can obtain a decent volume. psu? do E88CC's require anything different to 6DJ8's

Its hard for me to describe whats going on because this is the first bit of valve kit I've owned.

the vocals distort in a vibrating way when the bass kicks in then the bass dissapears, vibration related?

TRENDING THREADS