Matt versus glossy TVs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am I the only person who can't stand the shiny, glossy TVs that have been around for the last couple of years? I wanted to upgrade when I moved house last year and couldn't find a matt flatscreen LCD TV anywhere!

Does anyone know if any of the big manufacturers are bringing out new ranges this year and if so are they going to continue this horrible trend or will I be able to buy a plain matt TV that doesn't distract me from the picture by reflecting all the lights in my room?

I'd also be interested to hear other people's views on this as I just couldn't live with one of those shiny monstrosities and can't believe that millions of people seem to be using them without going insane from the reflections!

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Mines shiny as most are and dont bother me . get a projector and a screen or buy a shiny tv and get some wet and dry or a can of matt black !

A

Anonymous

tut tut some people have no taste at all
i bet your house is decorated in nice shiny silk emulsion.

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't agree more.

Shiny sucks and would be a pain in the ***. My old Panasonic LCD is matt and any new upgrade this year will only be matt. Shiny is just too distracting and shows fingerprints.

Don't care if new tv has great picture and sound. If it has shiny surround, its off the list!

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Your list will be very short!
emotion-6.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
mattblacktv:

Am I the only person who can't stand the shiny, glossy TVs that have been around for the last couple of years? I wanted to upgrade when I moved house last year and couldn't find a matt flatscreen LCD TV anywhere!

Does anyone know if any of the big manufacturers are bringing out new ranges this year and if so are they going to continue this horrible trend or will I be able to buy a plain matt TV that doesn't distract me from the picture by reflecting all the lights in my room?

I'd also be interested to hear other people's views on this as I just couldn't live with one of those shiny monstrosities and can't believe that millions of people seem to be using them without going insane from the reflections!

I am pretty sure Peter Hertz will agree with you
emotion-5.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
LOL, shiney is fine ... my Syncmaster T200 (comp screen) is a 'little' shiney as is my tv ... no worries ... WHY *** about it ... ya make no sense tbh.

Reflection ... never saw one yet ...... finger-prints ... stop touching ... WHY would you even be 'touching' the tv ????????

A

Anonymous

Put me down as a shiny club member RK
emotion-2.gif

I can't imagine what my Pio 5090 would look like in matt...Ugh against all thatother shiny equipment I have.

If it's any consolation the Sony LCD I have had a champagne coloured surround from new and I replaced it with a Matt black one so it went with the rest of my equipment in that room...

So guess I sit on the fence with this one!

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I like the look of a glossy frame, and i don't get any reflections in my room, but yes it does show up more dirt and dust and easily scratches.Mine has a few marks which i don't know how they got there, so cleaning needs to be done carefully and correct cleaning agents and clothes used.

A

Anonymous

Surround of the TV: don't really care...

As for the screen itself: I much prefer to have a matt screen. My place actually has windows and I'm not about to go curtaining them up to watch some tv during the day.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Shiny all the way if you ask me - my Samsung is (dare I say it) rather sexy with its unusual wood-stain effect black plastic surround, and glass-effect edges.

A

Anonymous

Thank you mattblacktv for bringing this subject up.

In any tv showroom, nowadays, visitors are offended by a vast display of quality televisions with tacky looking shiny surrounds and screens, reminiscent of those cheap shoddy copies of radios and other gadgets, constructed in the sweat shops of the Far East with shiny plastics, fake chromes and important sounding brands in order to fool people who did not know the quality of the brand leaders, these copies were destined for the Sunday markets in East London and elsewhere.

Shiny tvs reflect light and movement, look cheap and nasty.

Let's hope this trend disappears very soon, I am not buying until then, I am keeping my old Panasonic with matt screen and silver surround, PQ excellent, over 11 years old.

Quality might be good in new technology, but design is definitely lacking.

Any matt colour can be used, or the manufacturers could offer a "click on" non shiny surrounds if they must insist making these horrible black shiny frames. Also the screens are far too mirror like.

A

Anonymous

I put a large silk scarf over my shiny, glossy Pansonic when it's not in use. There is a gap in the market - if anyone is looking for a business venture, consider making TV covers.

A

Anonymous

We have seen the various comments about these glossy tvs, is there anyone else somewhere that can come up with any new

ideas/innovations, especially the manufacturers? Please someone give us hope that the shinies will eventually disappear.

Mattblacktv, what is your opinion after all this? I suppose sneaking into stores with small cans of matt paint is out of the question........

Regards to you all.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Shiny, reflective screens noticeably improve black levels.

Agreed!!

A matt screen will usually display poorer black level and any backlight issues will be more evident.

Glossy screens have a higher quality filter over them which will enhance contrast quiet a bit but can be a pain when watching in a brightly lit environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts