Matching the Onkyo TX-NR3008

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. What size of room do you have? Do you need stereo perfromance as well as home cinema? Do you have a preference for on wall or floor standing speakers? Any other limitations?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What Nick says.

I'll let Nick go first and I promise I wont copy his reply
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The room is 22ft long 14ft wide. 7.1 home cinema system is preferable. Stereo performance is a must. Music needs centre around classical and vocals.

Floor standing speakers for the front pair would be ideal.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well you don't give a budget, but I'd say with this amp you're looking at a package between about £2k and £4k in order to utilise the amps capabilities. At the lower end you'd be looking at something like the Monitor Audio RX6AV package, or a package based around KEF's Q500, or more ideally, their Q700 with that size room. Moving up from that really depends how much you want to get out of the amp as far as music is concerned. Either KEF's Q900 will be a good start, which use KEF's first 8" UniQ since the original Q Series back in the early 90's, or, as Nick states, something based around one of the PMC models. I'd add to that either KEF's XQ series, Monitor Audio's Gold series, or a package based around ProAc's Studio 140.2 model. First thing to do is to book a demo and try a few of these speakers out with the 3008 and see what you think of them, to get a feel for what the combination is capable of, then try the whole package to make sure you're happy with it.

A

Anonymous

Thanx for the quick response. I was introduced the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8 series. However, I was not sure Mezzo would be suitable. Views?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Mezzo will work fine, but I can't help thinking you'll get more from the system with another package. The Mezzo's went up in price quite a lot a year or so ago, so no longer represent the value they used to.

A

Anonymous

Ok finally, I have arranged for auditions on the following systems:

KEF Q700 and 900

Mordaunt Short Mezzo

Paradigm Studio 60 and 100 package

Will keep you guys posted. But any feedback on the Paradigm system would be appreciative.

A

Anonymous

Hi, just got my 3008 (replaced a Denon 3311 but thats another story). I have a Monitor Audio Apex speakers setup that sounds fantastic. I wanted the whole 9.1 experience and the speakers had to be wall mounted. There does not apear to be anything else on the market to touch these speakers (with the scenario mentioned). Just my 2p view.

A

Anonymous

Hi F2F,

I also have the MA Apex system but with a 5.1 setup. I was wondering why you decided to replace your Denon 3111, which is the amp i'm interested in purchasing for GBP949, and was wondering if you knew whether or not it was better than the 3310?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts