martantz sa8005 impression!!

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all
Had the sa8005 delivered yesterday.
This is the 2nd time I have used peter tyson in last couple of months and must say that I find their service right at the top with lintone audio whom I also used recently.
As always with marantz the packaging is excellent only gripe that they supply the same quality rca cable they supply with £200 unit and £1k unit (PT threw in a pair of AQ evergreen rca cable anyway). As a member already mentioned on my previous thread, lifting it out of the box you do feel the weight of it, 8kg it is.
For some strange reason analogue out put on this unit is not colour coded so for a hifi novice like myself a quick Google search saved the day.
Sa8005 looks identical to cd6005 which it replaced. Only visible difference you see when you open the cd tray and look at the rear of the unit, it has more digital input option than cd6005, tray feels a little more robust and I believe it is sprayed with something to reduce noise?
I have always had marantz cdp so am familiar with their "house sound"
In terms of sound quality what you notice on 8005 straight away is the sound stage it presents which I find to be a lot wider than 6005. Also sound is a lot cleaner and instruments separation is noticeably better.
I was using irdac with cd6005 I found it added more dynamics and openness to the presentation.
However, with 8005 it is the opposite, playing it with irdac it sounds flat and losses a bit of liveliness, I have actually done a blind test by my brother which confirmed my findings.
If you are looking for wide sound stage, clean and dynamic sound look no further.
SA8005 on its own sounds better than cd6005 and irdac combined so in that respect you get yours money's worth.

I haven't yet connected my ipod to 8005. Should be an interesting comparison to irdac.
Thanks for reading.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
macdiddy said:
now that you will be connecting via the analogue outputs, will you be trying any sacd's in your new player.

*music2*

I haven't got any sacd yet, it's difficult to get indian music on that format, hopefully some will be available in future. For now I will order a couple of jazz album on sacd from amazon.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are up for a new experience try the Shostakovich Symphony 13 'Babi Yar' on Praga Digital. It's not cheap but you can get it from Amazon. I described it elsewhere on this CB as 'visceral' and it left me emotionally drained. Not easy music perhaps but a wonderful recording of a wonderful performance.

Chris

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
If you are up for a new experience try the Shostakovich Symphony 13 'Babi Yar' on Praga Digital.  It's not cheap but you can get it from Amazon.  I described it elsewhere on this CB as 'visceral' and it left me emotionally drained.  Not easy music perhaps but a wonderful recording of a wonderful performance.

Chris

Thanks for that,
Will look into that

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
Any more sacd recommendations?

Dire Starights Brothers In Arms.

Dave Brubeck Time Out.

Miles Davis Bitches Brew.

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue.

I don't know what they are like for price where you are. The Dire Striaghts album is cheap, but the Jazz ones I mentioned are very expensive here in the UK.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:

Dave Brubeck Time Out.

I don't know what they are like for price where you are. The Dire Striaghts album is cheap, but the Jazz ones I mentioned are very expensive here in the UK.

I am in birmingham, which I still believe to be in the uk contrary to fox news expert, lol. Thanks I like jazz so will order 1 or 2 jazz albulms you mentioned.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not SACD, but please try Zara McFarlane -'if you new her' .

Try it on YouTube but it's s CD worth buying, sounds superb.

MeanandGreen said:

Dave Brubeck Time Out.

I am in birmingham, which I still believe to be in the uk contrary to fox news expert, lol. Thanks I like jazz so will order 1 or 2 jazz albulms you mentioned.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Animesh,

Great review and glad you are enjoying the upgrade. FWIIW, I sold my irDAC for a very good price on fleabay. I've now tried USB in from my laptop and recommend this year's (or last) LInn's free '24 bits of Christmas' 24/192 which includes some excellent jazz and soul/blues numbers. Also from Linn on Amazon @£7 are a series of SACD samplers containing some jazz but mostly classical. A cheap way to experience the joys of SACD. In addition to above recommendations, Mark Knophler's (Hybrid) Shangri La is a superb recording. Happy listening.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about availibity or price but have a search for Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section and Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus, 2 classic albums.

Also Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else if you can find it at a good price.

One tip search on Amazon uk, there are some Canadian importers which tend to be cheaper than the UK ones, postage is the same.

Note not all sacds are better than normal cds, you may want to have a look on Steve Hoffman site for best versions, often Japanese ones are but oh the price.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about availibity or price but have a search for Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section and Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus, 2 classic albums.

Also Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else if you can find it at a good price.

One tip search on Amazon uk, there are some Canadian importers which tend to be cheaper than the UK ones, postage is the same.

Note not all sacds are better than normal cds, you may want to have a look on Steve Hoffman site for best versions, often Japanese ones are but oh the price.

Some you maybe better off importing direct from companies like Analogue Productions, where prices are OK about $30 but check postage and you may have to pay VAT. Meets The Rythem Section there is a Japanese SACD available for about £24 on Amazon which seems a good deal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts