Marantz Pm7004

Roywalker

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've just bought a pm7004 and am enjoying it very much. There is a noise from the unit when you start it up/ bring it out of standby. I can only describe it as an electrical sounding "thum". It lasts less than a second and isnt particularly loud, but loud enough to hear when stood a few feet away. This noise does not come from the speakers at all, and both channels are in fact noise-free. Is this normal?
Thanks.
Shaun

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Roy, I notice a similar kind of 'thum' sound just after bringing my Paerl Lite out of standby, but I use it in power amp mode and have just realised I only hear that sound when the AV amp comes on at the same time so it might actually be the AV amp. Probably nothing to worry about anyway. Is it brand new or s/h?

Roywalker

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
It's second hand, but owned by an old chap who barely used it. Its pretty much showroom condition.

It seems to be a little worse if its been sat in standby for a while. Also do you get clicks when it loads up? Like relay sounds?

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I get the relay clicks, that's perfectly normal. I get the 'thum' before the click. Also like yours the volume/presence of the 'thum' depends how long it's been off. I've switched it on and off again now and it didn't make the sound after being in use for a while.

I was wondering if it was new or s/h as you'd probably be less concerned about it from new. As long as the sound is clean in use and there's no hum from the speakers I wouldn't worry about it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts