Marantz PM6003 or Onkyo AV5L - which is better?

T

the record spot

Much as I'd like to say one or the other, it's going to be a question of taste allied to the functionality you're looking for, as well as the sound you're trying to achieve. Have a listen to the pair of them if you can?

A

Anonymous

I auditioned both last year. To my ears the Marantz was a country mile better. A pitty as the digital in would have made for a much simplier system.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately i'm stuck in the Isle of Man, and listening oportunities are essentially zero! I'm limited to my visits to the Mainland at some point. I'm in no rush to be honest so I could wait.

are these the best two at this price point? (or at least the marantz) or am I missing an obvious contender at the £200 mark?

matthewpiano

I can't comment on the Onkyo as I've not heard it properly, though I did once hear it briefly driving some MA RX1s and thought it impressive. I would expect it to be excellent. I've never heard a bad bit of Onkyo kit

The Marantz is a stunner. I've heard the PM6003 countless times and driving all sorts of speakers and it is a brilliant amp. Musical, involving, detailed, rhythmic, punchy, and very well built too.

Audition both and decide based on your musical preferences.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
looks like I'm sold on the Marantz :) I'm sure it's quality will help produce good things from whatever it's fed from the Airport Express :)

I can't really see another better option at the price point for what I'm after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts