Marantz PM6003 amp - Partnering BD player good for audio ?

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't entirely sure which section to post this in, as it really spans both HiFi and Home Cinema, but here goes:

I have tentatively identified the Marantz PM6003 amp as a good basis for an audio system, based on the many excellent reviews it has received. However, I'm also looking for a suitable BD player to go with it, which would avoid the need for a separate CD player, as I wish to keep the system to just two boxes. The Marantz UD7006 would be an obvious choice, as it would match physically, and has received a rave review by WHF. It is pretty pricey however, so I wonder whether the cheaper UD5005 would be any good ?

Anyone have any experience of using a BD player in an audio-centric system ? (It must play BDs/DVDs well, but good audio performance is essential).

Speakers will be transmission line floorstanders from IPL Acoustics (nearest commercial equivalent would be PMC GB1i), and the TV is a Sony KDL-40EX503.

T

the record spot

I'd be inclined to seek out a more powerful amp to be fair and maybe something with a little more on offer than a straight vanilla stereo integrated, especially one with only 45w on tap.

My money would go to Harman-Kardon's HK3490, similar price to the Marantz, but offers 120wpc, good current delivery and also has an onboard DAC with two optical inputs, so you could put your TV and blu-ray player through it. Or there's Onkyo's TX-8050 which is recently out; 105wpc, internet connectivity, onboard DAC again...£299 and £400 respectively.

Fair enough if you do settle on the Marantz amp, but I'd definitely seek out some alternatives too if only to discount them.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, both of those amps do indeed seem to be very well specified, although I have no requirements for a tuner, internet radio, streaming, etc.

I was slightly concerned that the Marantz amp was only 45W/ch, but noted that WHF rated it well above its higher powered siblings for sound quality.

cs2011 said:
I wasn't entirely sure which section to post this in, as it really spans both HiFi and Home Cinema, but here goes:

I have tentatively identified the Marantz PM6003 amp as a good basis for an audio system, based on the many excellent reviews it has received. However, I'm also looking for a suitable BD player to go with it, which would avoid the need for a separate CD player, as I wish to keep the system to just two boxes. The Marantz UD7006 would be an obvious choice, as it would match physically, and has received a rave review by WHF. It is pretty pricey however, so I wonder whether the cheaper UD5005 would be any good ?

Anyone have any experience of using a BD player in an audio-centric system ? (It must play BDs/DVDs well, but good audio performance is essential).

Speakers will be transmission line floorstanders from IPL Acoustics (nearest commercial equivalent would be PMC GB1i), and the TV is a Sony KDL-40EX503.

What's your room size? how many dbs do the speakers have?

The reason why I ask is because I had 14 very happy years with 40 watt Arcam amps, so I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion you need extra power.

A

Anonymous

The only BD player which has real audiophile skills I know is Oppo's. Oppo BD-83 is a really nice universal player.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
The reason why I ask is because I had 14 very happy years with 40 watt Arcam amps, so I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion you need extra power.

I'd be inclined to agree, except if the amp in question has high current delivery and around 100w on tap. I'll take that anyday. I had the Alpha 5 and it can go a bit alright though, so for a small-medium room it'll be fine. It's a nice amp and far from the woolly/bland sound some folk attach to the model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts