Marantz PM KI signature phono

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello all almost ready to buy my first (and hopefully only) turntable have settled on Rega Planar 2 or 3. Just would like some reassurance that my amplifier phono stage will be good enough. I'm optimistic as the headphone amp is absolutely brilliant. I have Monitor Audio RX1 speakers and already have Chord Cobra interconnects. Any advice welcome thank you.

Jonathan Cox said:
Hello all almost ready to buy my first (and hopefully only) turntable have settled on Rega Planar 2 or 3. Just would like some reassurance that my amplifier phono stage will be good enough. I'm optimistic as the headphone amp is absolutely brilliant. I have Monitor Audio RX1 speakers and already have Chord Cobra interconnects. Any advice welcome thank you.

The Marantz phono stage is a good one and should be all you need for most moving magnet cartridges.

Gray

My previous amplifier was the PM66KIsig and I found that one to have a good phono amp.

Component upgrades in the KI model included a couple in the phono amp and it seems this stage was regarded as an important part of the amp. (WHF said how good it was in their original review)

Gray said:
My previous amplifier was the PM66KIsig and I found that one to have a good phono amp.

Component upgrades in the KI model included a couple in the phono amp and it seems this stage was regarded as an important part of the amp. (WHF said how good it was in their original review)

Ken Ishwata has never skipped on the phono stages of Marantz amplifiers the big question is whether the OPs turntable is good enough for the amp. He doesn't state which one but that's probably irrelevant.

Remember, source is everything, and it's all down to the cartridge the OP employs with the turntable as this is the limiting factor here not the phono stage.

He appears to be skimping on the turntable itself so the cartridge becomes even more critical. The turntables in question can be picked up cheaply these days although he doesn't state where he's getting them from, so needs to be careful there. If he intends buying second-hand with a clapped-out cartridge then his initial question is irrelevant.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If we're talking about the old PM66KI I can personally vouch that the phono stage is going to be well up to the task. It lacks a sensitivity-setting for low-output MC cartridges, but this is unlikely to be an issue with any cartridge you'll mate to a Planar 2 or 3.

MajorFubar said:
If we're talking about the old PM66KI I can personally vouch that the phono stage is going to be well up to the task. It lacks a sensitivity-setting for low-output MC cartridges, but this is unlikely to be an issue with any cartridge you'll mate to a Planar 2 or 3.

I concur. But until he gets back and tells us which Marantz PM KI we will just have to wonder. There have been a few. ;-)

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for input everyone, that's really good news. Yes my amp is a PM66 KI signature. I'm thinking of getting my own upgraded cartridge rather than the Elys one. Also I'm thinking (after listening to each) of Planar 2 and using the rest budget for a headphone upgrade. I have Goldring DR150 and an Epiphany Acoustic amp, tempted to go for Sennheiser HD650 but of course may not be possible to audition. If the Planar 3 is a marked improvement over the 2, I'll get that and headphones later on. Thanks all.

Jonathan Cox said:
Thanks for input everyone, that's really good news. Yes my amp is a PM66 KI signature. I'm thinking of getting my own upgraded cartridge rather than the Elys one. Also I'm thinking (after listening to each) of Planar 2 and using the rest budget for a headphone upgrade. I have Goldring DR150 and an Epiphany Acoustic amp, tempted to go for Sennheiser HD650 but of course may not be possible to audition. If the Planar 3 is a marked improvement over the 2, I'll get that and headphones later on. Thanks all.
If your turntable is the only source then I suggest getting the Planar 3, as you will appreciate it more as time goes on, and it will be better value in the long run.

nopiano said:
Jonathan Cox said:
If your turntable is the only source then I suggest getting the Planar 3, as you will appreciate it more as time goes on, and it will be better value in the long run.

And the tonearm is better on the Planar 3.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Just managed to bag myself a Rega RP3 with Elys in white from bay, unbelievably was only bidder (was pick up only). Paid starting price of £250! Seeing as it's my first proper turntable I'm very happy! Next to upgrade cartridge, will pick up in a few days and post my impressions.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Got turntable set up only managed to have a few hours listen as room being done out first. So wasn't 100% level and a bit close to speakers. As yet only have old(ish) records, some in better nick than others, but I'm extremely happy with how it sounds already. Most notable improvement in drums and bass compared to iPhone via Airport Express. Noticed though that some discs do sound a lot better than others, would others agree that there is more variation between different records, and is this due to pressing, thickness and weight of disc, even playing time? Need to get some record and stylus cleaning stuff next, any good/bad experiences? Thanks for comments again.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Jonathan Cox said:
Noticed though that some discs do sound a lot better than others, would others agree that there is more variation between different records, and is this due to pressing, thickness and weight of disc, even playing time?

Yes to all of the above. Welcome to the wonderful [sometimes unpredictable] world of buying and playing records. A world where sometimes you can sit through a record and absolutely marvel that a sound so 'right' and emotionally involving can come from an etched PVC disc that's read by scraping a diamond through its concentric grooves, and where other times you wonder why the hell did you bother.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi all so really enjoying my records just love the whole experience. Given my system I'd like some help with how to improve things. I've got a few hundred pounds, so here's my own ideas in order preference based on research I've done. Also probably important that I listen to a lot of heavy metal stuff.

1. New cartridge - Nagaoka MP110 to replace the Elys.

2. Tangospinner subplatter kit.

3. Phono stage - Rega MM mk3 just out Schiit Mani or Graham Slee.

4. Rega power supply or motor (not so convinced by worth of these?)

Feel I want a bit more excitement in sound and a tighter (not more) bass. Also, I'm toying with the with swapping speakers to Dynaudio Emit or Focals along line. Feel free to shoot me down in flames and thanks for any responses! Enjoy the weekend all.

Jonathan Cox said:
Hi all so really enjoying my records just love the whole experience. Given my system I'd like some help with how to improve things. I've got a few hundred pounds, so here's my own ideas in order preference based on research I've done. Also probably important that I listen to a lot of heavy metal stuff.

1. New cartridge - Nagaoka MP110 to replace the Elys.

2. Tangospinner subplatter kit.

3. Phono stage - Rega MM mk3 just out Schiit Mani or Graham Slee.

4. Rega power supply or motor (not so convinced by worth of these?)

Feel I want a bit more excitement in sound and a tighter (not more) bass. Also, I'm toying with the with swapping speakers to Dynaudio Emit or Focals along line. Feel free to shoot me down in flames and thanks for any responses! Enjoy the weekend all.

Interesting. I would have placed that subplatter thingy last. The TT-PSU is handy if you are regularly switching speeds and like the convenience of electronic speed swithching, so a 'nice to have' rather than a necessity I guess. Personally I'd get one as it makes the whole package easier to sell on if you ever wish to do so.

D

Deleted member 108165

If you are intent on an external phono stage then be prepared to spend upwards of £400 to better the one in the Marantz. Nagaoka are lovely cartridges, but not cheap anymore.

DougK said:
If you are intent on an external phono stage then be prepared to spend upwards of £400 to better the one in the Marantz. Nagaoka are lovely cartridges, but not cheap anymore.

+1 and another reason would be if you were thinking of going down the Moving Coil route, so probably not that relevant in this case.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
good advice I believe the phono is a good one simply because my records sound very good already. Cartridge it is firstly, so can anyone convince me to go for something other than the Nagaoka given my music preference? Probably about 70% metal. Budget £200 absolute maximum.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
So an update is due, I’ve had the Nagaoka MP110 on about a month set up with Stevenson protractor. Guess only done about 30 hours maximum. I’m not hearing any obvious change in sound so far to be honest although still very happy with it. Am I insane to expect any further change due to break in? I’ve also bought a Knosti cleaner which I love and a load of anti static sleeves and made my own cleaning solution as recommended on jazzcollector site.

D

Deleted member 108165

At 30 hours I reckon you're about there, doubt there will be any huge changes in sound to come. Why Stevenson alignment? Why not Baerwald/Lofgren B?

Jazzcollector cleaning solution prep is good *good*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ortofon's are relatively neutral. They also don't sound as diffuse as some ATs.

I would personally look at higher end Ortofon models ie. Bronze/Black.

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:
Ortofon's are relatively neutral. They also don't sound as diffuse as some ATs.

I would personally look at higher end Ortofon models ie. Bronze/Black.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at the Black, Bronze is the sweetspot for me.

TRENDING THREADS