Marantz NR1602 + PM6004 OR SR5006/6006 for better stereo sq

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have always think of hifi as a endless pit of it-can-sound-better upgrades and money-burning hobby and I managed to stay away for years.Six months ago I was very happy with my 5y old budget pioneer AVR with some MA front speakers and plastic sorround speakers. Didn't know for better and didn't care. Than I was "fortunate" enough that my friend started to look for his first HT and asked me for advice. I should stay away but instead I started to browse through web and soon end up with new Marantz NR1602 with BX2 (nice looking, good for music and movies, enough power, but...).Then I discovered FLACs, streaming, smooth jazz, classical music,... and the rest is history.:)Opinions needed;I would like better stereo sq and started to think in direction of adding integrated amp on 1602 pre-outs, someting like pm6004 or pm7004.At the same time thinking of updateing front speakes to floorstanders like q500 or RX6.Ratio is 50:50 music/movies.As I am using FLAC/ALAC music, I would like to keep streaming functionallity of 1602.Options (with potential + and -) that I see are:1. Add mentioned pm6004 or pm7004 to be power amp in this setup. Pluses: keep all 1602 functionalities plus have much better stereo performace (??)Minuses: dac and pre-amp of 1602 would still be used and if in reallity I am not lacking power with AVR only - any sq improvement is questionable2. Sell 1602 and go for higher avr models like 5006 or 6006 Pluses: One box with better stereo performance; has better DAC, pre-amp, more powerMinues: no significant improvement in sq, performance very similar to 1602 in 'normal' lisening levels in living room3. sell everything and go for: q500/RX6, pm6004 and Squezeebox/NA7004Pluses: much better stereo sq for musicMinus: lost of video processing, surround. Lots of money burned.What do you think?And last, will I end up in endless hifi pit of upgrades? ;)Thanks!P.S. sorry for spelling, don't have checker on this comp.

I have always think of hifi as an endless pit of it-can-sound-better upgrades and money-burning hobby and I managed to stay away from for years.

Six months ago I was very happy with my 5y old budget pioneer AVR with some bookshelf speakers and plastic sorrounds. Didn't know for better and didn't care.

Than I was "fortunate" enough that my friend started to look for his first HT and asked me for advice. I should stay away but instead I started to browse through web and take him for demos and soon I end up with new Marantz NR1602 with BX2 (nice looking, good for music and movies, enough power for my living room, but...).

Then I discovered FLACs, streaming, smooth jazz, classical music,... and the rest is history. :)

Opinions needed;

I would like a better stereo sq and started to think in direction of adding integrated amp on 1602 pre-outs, someting like pm6004 or pm7004. At the same time thinking of updateing front speakes to floorstanders like q500 or RX6.Ratio is 50:50 music/movies.

As I am using FLAC/ALAC music, I would like to keep streaming functionallity of 1602.

Options (with potential + and -) that I see are:

1. Add mentioned pm6004 or pm7004 to be power amp in this setup.

Pluses: keep all 1602 functionalities plus have much better stereo performace (??)

Minuses: dac and pre-amp of 1602 would still be used and if in reallity I am not lacking power with AVR only - any sq improvement is questionable

2. Sell 1602 and go for higher avr models like 5006 or 6006

Pluses: One box with better stereo performance; has better DAC, pre-amp, more power

Minues: no significant improvement in sq, performance very similar to 1602 in 'normal' lisening levels in living room

3. sell everything and go for: q500/RX6, pm6004 and Squezeebox/NA7004

Pluses: much better stereo sq for music

Minuses: lostof video processing, surround. Lots of money burned.

What do you think?

And last, will I end up in 'endless pit of hifi'? ;)

Thanks!

P.S. sorry for spelling, don't have checker on this comp.

A

Anonymous

The SR5006/6006 are AVR's with upto 7 channels of application and the PM6004/7004 are 2 channel stereo amps.

Usually the stereo amps would provide better 2 channel, stereo performance than and AVR, although recently I home demoed a PM6004 in stereo against my SR5006 (with a CD6004) and found no significant upgrade is sound quality, so I stuck with the AVR. I've not heard the 7004 though.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for comment markjaspi!

I know that there is a lot of topics here on adding stereo amp to avr, but still not sure is this something that can give some significant sq improvement as dac and preamp of avr is used. Probably should organize a demo although it is a logistic nightmare (should take my avr from home,...).

Any additional opinions on the topic?

Thx!

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
I have the Marantz SR6006 and its wonderful. Previously I had a Sony STR-DA5200ES with a seperate cambridge audio DACmagic for music from my computer.

Both are now gone as the Marantz is that good with music. In terms of home cinema performance it is absolutely astounding. The Sony was an award winner and no slouch when it came to HC but the Marantz blows it out of the water

I havent heard your other choices in action, but if you picked the Marantz you wont go wrong

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi bryster!

I already have Marantz 1602, it is slimline AVR; it has very good sq for stereo, but I am just wondering can it be better, but with keeping other features that I like (airplay, streaming,...).

One example what I think that can be better is Direct/Source modes - when I press Direct, sound becomes much lower (volume vise), muddy, totally lacks clarity; just not OK. And I understood that Direct should be the main option for listening stereo... maybe I am doing something wrong?

But again, it's very subjective, maybe I am expecting too much from slimline AVR within its budget.

Overall, I think that 1602 is excellent product.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts