Marantz MCR603

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm new to these forums and I need some advice. I am very keen on the Marantz MCR603 and I want to use it with a pair of B&W 685 speakers. Are the speakers over the top for this Marantz?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thank you. That's a relief, I've already bought the speakers.

A

Anonymous

I am also considering a Marantz MCR603 but I want it to drive two pairs of speakers. I already have B&W 600 S3 (the smallest ones from the previous 600 series) in my kitchen. Would the MCR603 able to drive b&w 685 (or CM1's) in the living room and b&w 600 S3 in the kitchen? Or is it just capble of driving one pair of b&w 685 (using bi-wiring)?

Would a rotel ra-04 + rt-09 (or rdg-1520) combination or marantz pm6003 + na7004 a big improvement (is it worthwile to pay twice as much as for the Marantz MCR603),

Any advice is highly appreciated ...

manicm

Bluenile:

I'm new to these forums and I need some advice. I am very keen on the Marantz MCR603 and I want to use it with a pair of B&W 685 speakers. Are the speakers over the top for this Marantz?

Thanks

While I find the 685s to be great speakers, I must state again that they need some space from walls to sound their best. If you'd be placing them right up against the walls I'd look elsewhere. Please find at least 30cm from sides and rears.

A

Anonymous

30 cm from sides and rears is no problem at all. Thanks for the reply.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'll make space. Marantz arrives tomorrow, hopefully.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I cant understand how marantz quotes the power of the mcr 603/503 at 60watts per channel when the unit only consumes 50watts!!???

my Arcam A85 is rated at 85 watts per channel and consumes 800w!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jiggyjoe:I cant understand how marantz quotes the power of the mcr 603/503 at 60watts per channel when the unit only consumes 50watts!!???
my Arcam A85 is rated at 85 watts per channel and consumes 800w!!

And only 0.4 watts in standby. Happy days
emotion-1.gif
(Getting mine next Tuesday).

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear the Rotel RT-09 is in the April Issue. I discovered I can get the French version of WhatHifi over here. Not perfect but I can't wait to have it

A

Anonymous

I am also leaning toward the Marantz M-CR603 for my own music stereo setup (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/which-wireless-option#comment-2620952) and was wondering about what speakers to pair with this receiver.

There are some used floorstanders in my area: B&W CDM-7NT and Linn Ninka.

From your experience, would any of these be a good pairing with the Marantz receiver?

Both sets of speakers support bi-wiring, so I imagine that to get the most out of the Marantz receiver, I should probably do bi-wiring.

In the case of the Linn Ninka speakers, they can also be used actively. While this feature is supposed to be very beneficial for sound quality, I don't know that I can use this feature with the Marantz unit. Thus I'll probably just go with bi-wiring and keep in mind that I can buy some amps and go active in the future...

PS/ Is the impedance going to be an issue?
The Marantz receiver has an impedance of 6-8 ohms
The B&W CDM-7NT have an impedance of 8Ω (min 4.6Ω), so that should be alright.
But the Linn Ninka have an impedance of 4 ohms (passive) and 6 ohms treble, 8ohms bass (active)...
smiley-undecided.gif

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I am running an MCR603 with some old B&W603S2, in my dining Room, the Marantz controls them very well, I have only single wired the units, and probably would not bother wit bi amping/wiring myself, if you have the cable already it is worth experimenting but I do not personally believe it will make a difference.

A

Anonymous

These look like nice speakers, pwiles1968! Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone tried the Marantz receiver with 4 ohm speakers? I have researched the issue some more and driving the unit with lower impedance speakers than what it is designed (6-8) could damage it by drawing to much power and overheating. That's obviously not very desirable
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

A

Anonymous

floflooo said:
Has anyone tried the Marantz receiver with 4 ohm speakers? I have researched the issue some more and driving the unit with lower impedance speakers than what it is designed (6-8) could damage it by drawing to much power and overheating. That's obviously not very desirable
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

The marantz should have protection. So it's supposed to protect it from loads that it cant handle (low impedence speakers).

as286

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I need a bit of advice. My present system is a Denon UD-M30 with a pair of Mission MS50 speakers. I am considering MCR603 with B&W CM1s. Any other suggestions for speakers? The system needs to stand on a bookshelf in a medium-sized room (20m2).

Also, apart from CDs, I listen either to Apple Lossless files (on a Mac or an iPhone) or music from a web-based server (Wimp.dk) at AAC 256 KBPs. There is no LAN cable in the room (yet) so no Airplay for the time being. This may be a silly question but I have no experience with this: will an iPhone connected to the front USB dock play Apple Lossless files from iTunes? I do not see them listed as being supported although "Works with iPhone" hopefully means that they are.

Thanks.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I had a UDM30 in the did ing room which the 603 replaced, the Marantz is significantly better, not familiar I bought some Powerline Adapters to get Internet in to the Marantz and it works well.

Not sure about small bookshelves sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts