Marantz MCR603, Onkyo TX8050 or CA NP30?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Gareth82 said:
My wife has had quiet abit of input into what to choose etc and i will be taking her along to the demos. I have got quiet a busy new year as i need to demo and decide on a new Home Cinema Sytem, a iPod Dock or Epoz Active speakers for the bedroom, Hi Fi Streamers and then possible new amps etc..

Good news indeed.

Gareth82 said:
The main thing i want is a compact system that doesn't take up too much space but also has good sound quality, i'm very tempted to forget about a home cinema system and got something like a Rega Brio R, Rega Dac and SB Touch and use that for music and movies.

One thing i would like to ask, are you using a Nas with your Marantz and if so, how easy was it to setup, does it suffer from any drop outs and what is it like navigating through the music files that are on the Nas?

If memory serves, we exchanged a couple of posts few months back wrt SB Touch and choice of NAS? I have '603 and SB Touch served by Buffalo Linkstation Duo (LX-WXL I believe) with 2 TB in Raid 1.

With '603 and NAS being DLNA enabled, I didn't need to install anything on 603 or the NAS before using them together. Slight faff installing SBS on the NAS, other than that absolutely no issues with either '603 or SBT, no dropouts at all. My two PS3s also streaming from the NAS.

Navigating through NAS with 603 is simply browsing through folders and finding the right one (or a song), using the direction pads on the remote or the unit itself. I have never experienced any issues with that at all. Display is easily readable up to say, 3-4m or so.

T

the record spot

Mr. Iceman said:
the record spot said:
I've no idea why the earlier poster said he;d never consider the Onkyo, it sounds like he's dismissed out of hand which - IMO - is a mistake. I've never heard it, but then again, I wouldn't be so shortsighted as to do the same.

RS, if you have no idea why I'd never consider the Onkyo, you could always ask and not suggest I made a mistake and call me shortsighted on top of that? Little harsh, no?

I was on a downsizing path - I needed a CD player and everything else that 603 has, in one unit with footprint half of the Onkyo's, that's all. I never said Onkyo was inferior to Marantz, it is better in many ways, but also bigger, without CD player and uglier - at least in the eyes of this beholder.

Yes, true, it was and apologies accordingly.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I will be auditioning a SB Touch, Sonos and CA NP30 along with the Onkyo, Marantz and other amps.

I will either be going for a one box solution like the Onkyo/Marantz or going for a Intergrated Amp and streamer. Depending on the sound quality of the Marantz and onkyo compared to my Arcam set up will help me choose if i should go for an all in one solution or stick with the Arcam and add a streamer or change the Amp and add a streamer.

I am really trying to keep an open mind and get peoples opinions on stuff and make sure i demo and don't rush into things. I am also trying to decide if it would be worth getting a seperate Hi Fi and Home Cinema System or if it would be best to go for a system that can play movies and music. Weather it's a AV receiver or Integrated Amp wouldn't be sure untill i have a demo so i guess i have got a few systems to demo in my price range and no doubt abit of head scratching in the process. I can't really afford to buy a system and then change it again if it's not what i want/need so i need to try and get it right first time if i can.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Mr. Iceman said:
the record spot said:
I've no idea why the earlier poster said he;d never consider the Onkyo, it sounds like he's dismissed out of hand which - IMO - is a mistake. I've never heard it, but then again, I wouldn't be so shortsighted as to do the same.

RS, if you have no idea why I'd never consider the Onkyo, you could always ask and not suggest I made a mistake and call me shortsighted on top of that? Little harsh, no?

I was on a downsizing path - I needed a CD player and everything else that 603 has, in one unit with footprint half of the Onkyo's, that's all. I never said Onkyo was inferior to Marantz, it is better in many ways, but also bigger, without CD player and uglier - at least in the eyes of this beholder.

Yes, true, it was and apologies accordingly.

Accepted, thank you RS.:cheers:

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I will be auditioning a SB Touch, Sonos and CA NP30 along with the Onkyo, Marantz and other amps.

I will either be going for a one box solution like the Onkyo/Marantz or going for a Intergrated Amp and streamer. Depending on the sound quality of the Marantz and onkyo compared to my Arcam set up will help me choose if i should go for an all in one solution or stick with the Arcam and add a streamer or change the Amp and add a streamer.

I am really trying to keep an open mind and get peoples opinions on stuff and make sure i demo and don't rush into things. I am also trying to decide if it would be worth getting a seperate Hi Fi and Home Cinema System or if it would be best to go for a system that can play movies and music. Weather it's a AV receiver or Integrated Amp wouldn't be sure untill i have a demo so i guess i have got a few systems to demo in my price range and no doubt abit of head scratching in the process. I can't really afford to buy a system and then change it again if it's not what i want/need so i need to try and get it right first time if i can.

IMO exactly the way to go Gareth, it shouldn't matter what shape or form it comes in as long as you are happy with it! And your better half as well, of course.:)

I admit buying the 603 and SBT without listening first, but both were a great buy. Having had the 603 for nearly 10 months now I can't fault it in any way. And SB Touch is a revelation (once you get past fiddling with the rather unfriendly SB Server), not only for its good sound but also for the unbeatable interface and features.

Good luck with your search.

LuniCycle

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Hope nobody minds me piggy backing on to this to ask if someone who has an MCR 603 can tell me how far inboard the feet are. What I am trying to establish is how deep a shelf is needed to put it on or conversely how narrow a shelf I can I put it on, obviously with an overhang. I have seen from the 360 degree view on the Marantz website that the rear feet are inset by a bit but cannot find pictures that show the front feet so would be grateful for dimensions. Thanks.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Front-to-back, the feet are 19cm apart and are 3cm in dia. The overhang is 2cm in the front, 3cm in the back. You will need 2 more cm in the back to accommodate cables. This gives total of 32cm.

Allowing for some space for cables in the back, the minimum required shelf depth is 30cm (28 measured from the front feet to the back panel, plus 2cm space for cables. With this, the front feet will sit fully on the shelf, but you may get away with 1-1,5cm less shelf depth if you don't mind front feet sitting on it half way.

LuniCycle

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Iceman I think that covers it. When I get home I will draw a picture. Am planning to replace my aged Marantz CD-63 and PM-44 SE Amp keeping my Tannoy Mercury M2s until budget allows for upgrading. At the moment I am mostly ripping CD collection to FLAC having spent the best part of year ripping to VBR MP3 using EAC and Lame :oops:

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
You're very welcome LC.

If you do decide to go for Marantz M-CR603, there are tons of posts here discussing what speakers to partner it with. Some users and reviewers reported the micro's ability to drive speakers even more than twice its price. Of course, it will be equally happy with your Tannoys as with any other budget speaker but it is good to know it can handle more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts