Marantz mcr510

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Morning, just a quick question. I've been using my iPad air play function to listen to my music for the last couple of years. The speakers are Zensor 5 so nothing flashy. This morning I decided to plug my iPad into the first ont USB slot if the Marantz.

The music/sound seemed to be a bit fuller, have a bit more depth to it. Is there s reason for this or was I just imagining it.

Also so whilst I'm here, I've recently moved home and my wife is moaning about floorstanding speakets taking up room!! We are due to decorate in the new yeast so I'm thinking of changing the hifi set up. Seeing as we use Spotify, BBC I radio app and maybe tidal I'm thinking of active speakers.

Ive read a lot about AVI dm5 on these pages and I was wondering how it all works. Do I just plug my iPad into the speakers and press play? Also in the new year we might be buying a turntable. How would this work with active speakers. Apologies for the lack by post and asking 2 different questions.

Thanks.

A wired connection will often sound better than wireless. I'm not an airplay expert but there will be compression or decoding going on which will impair the sound a bit.

Not sure how you wire an iPad direct to an AVI but recall preferred method is with Airport Express. If you want a record player too, you ideally need a preamp to manage different sources and volume changes. It then becomes even less 'wireless'! AVI have their own forum with suggested configurations iirc.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for replying. I want to keep the box count down, so if I used say the Yamaha wxc50 with the DM5 speakers would I still need the Apple AEX ? And is it possible to connect a record player to the Yamaha ?

insider9

Yamaha can do Airplay so no need for AEX. If your turntable has a built-in phono stage you can connect it to Yamaha otherwise you will need an external one as Yamaha hasn't got one on board.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok I think I'm starting to get it. After listening to my iPad connected to the Marantz this morning and thinking it sounds better I might not use air play as much so I'm guessing I can use a wired connection between the iPad and Yamaha. Also record players with built in phono stages, are they considered good or bad. Appreciate your replies, it's only recently I've been using Spotify etc, it was just Cd's before that.

insider9

Just so you know Yamaha only accepts files via USB. I don't believe you can connect up a device other than a hard drive or a USB stick.

With iPad you'd still need Airplay or you can use Spotify Connect or put a music on a flash drive.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you use a WXC50 it can be wired to your router for reliability and consistency and has native support for spotify and internet radio (Tidal too, though you need to make sure you have the latest firmware).

This allows you to use your iThing as a network remote, there is no transmission of music data back and forth, it is all dealt with by the WXC50. This gives you the advantage of a fully wired setup with all the flexibility of control from your iThing.

AVI DM5s are fine speakers as indeed are the Acoustic Energy AE1as, according to reports anyway, both will mate seemlessly with the WXC 50. If you want to spread the net a little further, look at the Dynaudio Lyd range of pro monitors, very good value.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the reply, unfortunately the router is in another room so I don't think the Yamaha could be wired/connected to it. I also forgot to mention the living room is about 25ft by 12.5ft, I'm assuming the speakers mentioned will be fine with these sizes. The AEs have good reviews but the reason we're interested in the DM5s is due to their small size. I know you advocate the Adam monitors but they look a little yo industrial for our liking.

insider9

Gonepostal said:
Hi and thanks for the reply, unfortunately the router is in another room so I don't think the Yamaha could be wired/connected to it. I also forgot to mention the living room is about 25ft by 12.5ft, I'm assuming the speakers mentioned will be fine with these sizes. The AEs have good reviews but the reason we're interested in the DM5s is due to their small size. I know you advocate the Adam monitors but they look a little yo industrial for our liking. 
You'd need to use a mains network extender, otherwise known as powerline adapter. You connect one to your router and it extends your network via electric cables in your house. Place one near Yamaha. Although Yamaha does well via WiFi. I've upgraded WiFi antenna on mine an you it wireless. My router is downstairs and no dropouts of problems using Tidal.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gonepostal said:

Understand entirely about the looks issue, though the Artist 3 and Artist 5 models are perhaps more acceptable and within budget.

The Artist 3 is tiny, gloss black or white with grills.

260415.jpg

That said the DM5s are excellent speakers and a good choice, personally I am more concerned about the practicalities of how they are wired up, nothing worse than an inconsistent network. You can of course use airplay to the WXC 50 and use it as a standalone system, ie no network connection, but as someone who went to some lengths to have a wired connection, I would urge you to look into that.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I never knew about a mains network extender so thanks for that. I reckon my broadband would be fine, I've been using air play for the Marantz for the last 2 years without any major problems. Think I'll start saving and treat myself in the new year, thanks for your help.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Just brought a pair of DM5 for £700, taken a gamble as I'm unable to audition them. At that price I figured I could move them on if I didn't like them. Should get them in 10 working days. Will update when I've had s chance to live with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts