[Marantz M-CR502] versus [CD5003 + PM6003]

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just want to clarify first. Marantz M-CR502, as reviewed by what hi-fi 's march edition, is classified both in "micro& style system's" entry level and premium level. prices differs by S$164. entry level is 5-stars while premium level is 4-stars. Prices are more than S$1000, which is actually more than double the actual distributor's price - i bought it at S$420 last year, and the price now dropped to S$380.

Anyways, my concern is that, which one is better - a single unit that caters CD playing and amplification (M-CR502), or a separate cd player (CD5003) and integrated amplifier (PM6003). CR502 is 50W, while PM6003 is just 45W. All 3 are 5-stars. CD6003 is the recommended, but considering the budget, i opt to lower down my choice to CD5003. but if CD5003 is not compatible with PM6003, i'll go for CD6003 for the sake of this comparison.

To generalize my question, which one is better, a one box music solution, or a separate two?

A

Anonymous

This is how I see it:

With a small budget, a single piece solution can sound better as more of the money paid would tend to go to what's inside the machine. Less of the paid amount will go to building two separate enclosures, remotes, packaging, etc. Not to mention the increased storage/shipping costs, and manufacturer/distro/dealer markup on these items.

As your budget goes higher, separates will allow you to buy specialized gear. You get to choose the source and the amp that you want, and they happen to be physically and electrically almost isolated from each other (minimal intermodulation noise and crosstalk). Save for some exceptions, it seems like starting from a certain pricepoint, having separate gear may just make more sense (not to mention that if one component fails or if you'd want an upgrade, you don't have to ditch everything).

A

Anonymous

Stagea,

thanks a lot. a big help. for now, i'll stick with my M-CR502...until i have enough budget. best regards..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts