Marantz HD-DAC1

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've just read a pretty glowing review by Andrew Everard of the Marantz HD-DAC1 in Gramophone. I jusr wondered if anybody had tried it as a DAC or as headphone amplifier or as pre-amp.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
So that's a "No" then.
regular_smile.gif

Chris

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Only briefly in store. I liked it, but didn't really listen for long so it was hard to compare it to my current DAC/HPA/Pre-amp.

A shame that the "wooden" sides are actually plastic. Lovely looking piece of kit. Sounded good. Very much like the higher end Marantz CD players. I read a Japanese review where they thought it was a bit better than the SA-14S1 through the CD player's headphone output. I couldn't comment. It's a product niche I'm very interested in because I plan to use one to run a pair of active speakers, as well as for headphone listening.

Also briefly checked out the Pioneer U-05, which has a more analytical sound. I'm leaning towards the U-05 because I'm a sucker for detail and it has balanced outputs. The Marantz had a nice open feel to the sound and plenty of detail, but typical Marantz smoothness. Not as full bodied and smooth as Luxman kit like the DA-200, but I ruled out the Luxman because it has no remote (and the balanced output is only fixed level). I still think the Marantz would look better in my living room, but I guess I need to audition more thoroughly. No chance of a home audition, so I think the best I can hope for is taking my headphones the the store and comparing the two pieces of equipment there and comparing them to my Icon HDP.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
but perhaps worth saving the extra... and I know you had one eye on this.

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/20_emotiva

UK supplier, strange, well at least hard to come by anyway.

Edit; Under budget, a little limited with outputs but can still be used as a basic pre-amp. I love the looks though.  The active bug still biting then? ;-) Anyway... oh yes, class A.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/audeze-deckard-class-a-headphone-amplifier-usb-dac.html

Active speakers, who would want them :) . I bought a set of Mackie Mr6 mk3s today. I helped a buddy set up a pair of presonus Eris e5s the other day and i couldn't resist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts