MARANTZ DV7001 Vs ONKYO TX-SR875

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have finally got around to buying the Marantz DV7001 (got a cracking deal btw - £450!). I'm now (surprisingly) after some advice from you gurus!

I intend attaching the player to my Oonkyo amp via a Chord HDMI Silver Plus, then the amp to TV via another HDMI. My questions are:

A) Is this the best configuration for DVD movie/sound and CD music sound?

B) Which of the two machines (DVD or Amp) is the best for up-scaling images to 720P? Should I feed a raw image from dvd player to amp and then get the amp to up-scale it direct to tv; or feed upscaled image from dvd player to amp then tv; or (really whacky idea) would upscaling the image twice (once by dvd player, then again by the amp) give an even better result?

Finally has anyone else experienced HDMI issues with DV7001? Jus read another thread and it has worried me a little bit that I'm going to have issues!

Cheers.

M

A

Anonymous

hi there iv just got the marantz and can confirm all the problems with hdmi and full pixel on my bravia. there is also a problem playing region 1 dvds, the hdmi signal drops for a couple of secs resulting in a blank screen. it did this last night while watching my ntsc copy of scarface. it only did it once through all the movie so its not a big deal to me.

A

Anonymous

I'm being really put-off now by the comments about the DV7001. It's quite a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't work as advertised - especially when it has had such rave reviews off What Hi-Fi magazine. It would be nice if the testers highlighted such issues - assuming that they experienced them too? I fail to see how the picture can be so fantastic if the HDMI out is faulty?

Can anyone suggest an alternative, maybe the Sony RDR HXD960/1060?

A

Anonymous

i agree. i got mine from super fi for 480 pounds for that kind of money they shouldnt be any problems. it seems fine with pal discs its with ntsc discs where the signal drops. i dont own that many ntsc discs so its not a problem, if however it starts playing up with pal ill be asking for a full refund. just curios if what hi fi experienced any problems with it while testing because iv had a quick look on the other forums and theres a few people that have had the same problems and got a refund?

A

Anonymous

No-one from What HiFi seem to be responding to any of these threads about DV7001. If I was a suspicious skeptical type of bloke I'd be wondering if they knew about the faults but ignored them/didn't even test it just accepted a nice payment from Marantz!

I've checked the Marantz website and there is a software update available for download, check here:

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductDL&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3667&single=1

Not sure whether or not this will solve the problems.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If I was a suspicious, sceptical type of person, I'd wonder why you were on this forum/buying the magazine if you have the train of thought that the WHFSV team are producing glowing reviews in exchange for money or ignoring and subsequently failing to report faults with their review samples.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="marshal478"]

No-one from What HiFi seem to be responding to any of these threads about DV7001. If I was a suspicious skeptical type of bloke I'd be wondering if they knew about the faults but ignored them/didn't even test it just accepted a nice payment from Marantz!

I've checked the Marantz website and there is a software update available for download, check here:

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductDL&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3667&single=1

Not sure whether or not this will solve the problems.

[/quote]

No, that won't solve it. That firmware is for the first players that didn't have 50Hz output on HDMI.

I've read many review on the DV7001. They were all done with a HD Ready screen, not Full HD. So that's why they missed the overscan issue on 1080p.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cofnchtr"]If I was a suspicious, sceptical type of person, I'd wonder why you were on this forum/buying the magazine if you have the train of thought that the WHFSV team are producing glowing reviews in exchange for money or ignoring and subsequently failing to report faults with their review samples.[/quote]

Chill Winston!!!

I was only joking I have a lot of faith in everything the teams has to offer and have had some very helpful advice from them. Besides, like you say, I wouldn't be here and wouldn't buy the magazine if I thought they did that!!!

Apologies to all/anyone at WHFSV who may have been offended or thought I was serious.

M

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah the old veiled insinuation which, when challenged, turns into 'just joking'. Yawn!

I have asked the reviewers for a steer on this, but so far no response - but I'm sure if they'd seen it you would've read about it. Have to say I've had a bit of a play with a 7001 and not spotted any problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts