Marantz CD6003 vs Marantz UD5005

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Having a bit of a think regarding the set-up at home and the possibility of buying a Blue Ray player for the front room. Rather than have a CDP and a BDP, I was thinking about a Universal Player such as a Marantz UD5005. I had a quick look at one over the weekend and wondered how the CD playback compared to a similarly priced CD player such as the CD6003 or 6004. The sales assistant said there wasn't much in it, but he would say that wouldn't he?

I will probably go back sometime to have a listen for myself but I am interested to know whether anyone on here has gone down a similar route and what their thoughts were.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, and picked up one of the UD5005 players from Superfi, with the Easter 10% off deal, so £270 rather than £300.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the results so far after a week with it. Picture wise its very good, but more importantly to me the sound quality of CD's through my PM7001 amp is top drawer. For the money I think its very good value.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
What's happened with your Creek kit DIB? Did you get the amp repaired?

I did get it repaired, Andrew at Doug Brady Hi-Fi did the business and got it back working as new. Far too technical for me to explain what was up with it, lets just say a loose connection somewhere!

We've had a change round in the front room as I have inherited a nice TV off my son. Decided to get myself an all singing all dancing UD5005 so the Evo 2 CDP was kind of redundant. Managed to sell it on at not much less than I paid for it. I still had my old trusty PM7001 to fall back on, so sold on the Evo 2 amp too at roughly the same price I paid for it.

A great combo the Evo 2, I'm surprised more people don't go down that route TBH. However, my set up over the years has always been fluid, and things come and go. Always been a big fan of Marantz, and have had the PM7001 upstairs in reserve. The PM7001 is such a great amp to my ears at least, I don't feel I'm losing out in SQ too much over the Evo 2. Managed to pay off some of my credit card bill with the proceeds too.

I must say that CD playback through my UD5005/PM7001/Mission 752 set-up is most agreeable.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the UD5005 last week to replace my old Blu-ray player. I thought if I got a universal player I could test the water with SACD, I haven't tried it as a cd player yet only the Blu-ray and DVD side. I think the picture quality and speed for loading discs is very good, the only annoyance so far is the amount of noise from the drive......far too much.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I purchased the UD5005 last week to replace my old Blu-ray player. I thought if I got a universal player I could test the water with SACD, I haven't tried it as a cd player yet only the Blu-ray and DVD side. I think the picture quality and speed for loading discs is very good, the only annoyance so far is the amount of noise from the drive......far too much.

Thats interesting. I can't say I've noticed any undue noise myself. I'll give it a critical listen later.

Only played one Blue Ray disc so far (Hurt Locker) and the picture quality was excellent. Apart from CD's I've mainly been catching up on several downloaded programmes on USB (Dexter, Game of Thrones,Alcatraz) and the USB option was one of the things that swung it for me. Very impressive.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's probably not the volume of the noise which is annoying rather the frequency of it, probably about 8kHz. It also seems to depend on what disc is loaded.

I haven't tried the USB input myself but I did try streaming mpg2 files off my NAS and it works well, unfortunately I can't try streaming music as it doesn't support FLAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts