Marantz amp cutting out

seashell

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I've had a Marantz PM6002 amp for a while. Been very very good. Recently on occasion it has started to cut off. It will stop playing sound and the mute light will flash on the front of the amp. Other people online have had the issue but I haven't really seen a resolution to the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

D

Deleted member 108165

seashell said:
I've had a Marantz PM6002 amp for a while. Been very very good. Recently on occasion it has started to cut off. It will stop playing sound and the mute light will flash on the front of the amp. Other people online have had the issue but I haven't really seen a resolution to the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Possibly too much on the volume dial, leading to clipping. The amp enters protection mode to save itself. I've only ever encountered this once on a Marantz PM6005 and that was pushing it to insane volume levels.

Question: At what point on the volume dial does this happen to your amp? 10am? 12am? 2pm?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Some months ago I did some measures: CD PinkF Dark Side otm - absolutely high volumes ( there were no neighbors! ) , with vol knob at 15 o'clock , (max is 17 hours) and source direct ; in the peaks I digitally tested (average) : Vmax = 14 V/ch and Imax = 1.7 A, for a maximum power of almost 25 W/ch; I generally listen to 9:30 hours max, with my wife coming & asking me for a lower volumes....I've to say that, while the Quad 34 + 306 that I owned before for 20 years , with the same B&W towers, and at a little lower volume, was going in protection (I had to unlock it using the back button) and also warmed up a bit on the smart front radiator, the Marantz 6004 instead was almost cold and never gone + in protection. The Quad was also sounding a little harsh and with harder highs, at these levels, while the Pm 6004 has retained a good liquidity on the mid & highs, which were still confortable...; anyway, in everydays normal cd listening, at 9:30, I get only an output of 1 W/ch max on peaks, more punchy bass and similar mid vs Quad!

Yam as 500 has loudness too and in direct comparison with pm 6004 shows more dry, although more diffuse and detailed high frequencies, similar bass punch, but more fatiguing listening overall, for me.

Marantz drives my old B&W 603, like 684, and a ASW 610 sub linked at spkB - highlevel - my room= 30 mq and 90 mc with ease.

Just a few thoughts . bye

seashell

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
It generally gets played at around 9pm, but it has started cutting out at around between 10/11 if turn it up a bit. It used to be able to cope with those volumes absolutely fine and sounds fantastic. . At the moment they are running some Q Acoustic 3020s. The only thing I can think of is a friend turned it up very loud, to around 2pm on the dial, when I was at work till late. Literally had to shout across the room when got home to get them to turn it down and only since then has this been an issue. That is almost definitely the cause of the issue as didn't have any problems previously. But it is now cutting out at far lower volumes.

Is that the amp shot or a repairable situation?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Obviosly the amp is malfunctioning and needs repairs. Best to send it to a service tech. It is very likely the issue is in the power amp section.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
From what ive seen, you could be talking over £100 for a diagnostic and basic amp repair, more if its worse. Bear in mind a NEW PM6005 is £250 ish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts