Majik i or Naim XS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Ive been auditioning integrated amps and looking for someone who can give me some thoughts on the Majik I. Ive looked at the Roksan M 2 and the NAIM XS.
I like the upgrade path offered by the MajikI. The amp does seem to have its bright spots in terms of rendering detail in vocally strong tracks.
In a few instances I've found it to be a little dull, could well be that its presenting the music as it were.
The sales person at my local HI FI is a big Linn fan, the only other brand they carry is Naim. I don't think the XS has been given its best outing with me.
I like the idea of owning the Linn
sad.gif
. i expect one couldn't go wrong with the Majik I.
however there is very little in terms of opinion on the Majik i on the www. What little there is isn't very complementary. the what hi fi review is about the only one out there and its not flattering.
Would love to hear back from someone who has had some experience with these three amps or if not with the XS at least.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sonos

This is a difficulr question for me as I'm not fond of the Naim, and I like the Linn even less.

One of them may be exactly right for you, but the reason that I'm replying, is to encourage you to try other makes (that being possible).....depending on how you like music presented:

Leema and Musical Fidelity - clean, clear and punchy.

Electrocampaniet - Organic sounding

Sugden - Class A musicality

Lavardin - Unique sounding, almost "tube" like

Pathos and Unison Research - Richer sounding and great with voices, piano, violin etc

Sorry for not directly answering your question, but IMO it is important to hear some other makes before commiting a substantial sum....it saves grief in the long run.

Can you give some details of the rest of your system and the type of music you listen to.

Regards

Cno

A

Anonymous

hi, thanks for this, i have B&W CM1's, most of my music is now in FLAC streamed to the amp over SONOS. I currently have a NAD 326 BEE. I want to upgarde the AMP.

I did listen to the Sugden didn't make a significant impression. I listen to a wide variety of music so was looking for something that was reasonably versatile across genres.

I would like something punchy let me re read your earlier post.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That makes things easier.

I think you should take a listen to a Leema Pulse (old model was available from Sevenoaks for £740) and Musical Fidelity M3, before making your decision.

FWIW. I think the Naim is better than the Linn, the latter being a bit cold, clinical and uninvolving for my taste.

Also look at the possibly of getting a dac sometime in the future.

Regards

Cno

CnoEvil said:
That makes things easier. I think you should take a listen to a Leema Pulse (old model was available from Sevenoaks for £740) and Musical Fidelity M3, before making your decision. FWIW. I think the Naim is better than the Linn, the latter being a bit cold, clinical and uninvolving for my taste. Also look at the possibly of getting a dac sometime in the future. Regards Cno

Just prior to buying the Leema I listened to XS at a different dealers - on Spendor speakers. It sounded fine, but to my ears, didn't have the 'X' Factor. If you're looking in that areana it's worth listening to the Roksan Caspian M1 or 2. It was very difficult to split the Roksan and the Leema. BTW I listened to both on MA GS10 and Spendor SA-1.

A

Anonymous

if you want to demo the naim xs then try PMC speakers with it, i had the small db1i's with my xs and it was a stunning pairing, i wish i still had mine
smiley-cry.gif

A

Anonymous

For the price of those Amps you could get an all in one solution of the Avi Adm 9.1T and you don't need a separate Dac, however you might like the matching sub in the future as a nice upgrade.
I have found this setup great with all kinds of music I would recommend a demo whole heartedly.
Nick

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all on this thread for the inputs. Clearly a few more amps to audition. I have auditoned the Roksan M2 and I must say it came through very well. I audtioned it alongsied the Cyrus 8XPD. The Roksan came through better in terms of clarity, control.

What I am also looking for is a system that I can build on over time. Hence the Naim and Linn. Appreciate that cyrus has a lot to offer here as well but I preferred the Linn to the Cyrus.

The XS and Linn have been playing of the LInn Ds, I just wonder if this is contributing to the Linn sounding superior in terms of detail and musicality in my auditons.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all on this thread for the inputs. Clearly a few more amps to audition. I have auditoned the Roksan M2 and I must say it came through very well. I audtioned it alongsied the Cyrus 8XPD. The Roksan came through better in terms of clarity, control.

What I am also looking for is a system that I can build on over time. Hence the Naim and Linn. Appreciate that cyrus has a lot to offer here as well but I preferred the Linn to the Cyrus.

The XS and Linn have been playing of the LInn Ds, I just wonder if this is contributing to the Linn sounding superior in terms of detail and musicality in my auditons.

sonos said:

Definitely take a listen to the new Leema Pulse MkIII version - it has a built-in DAC....

Potts

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey Sonos.

I currently have a Nait XS + Flatcap XS running B&W 683's. I am very satisfied with my set up and am really happy with the sound.

After an initial problem with the first Nait XS I took home, I returned to the dealer who suggested I might prefer the Naim NAC 152 XS/Nap 155 XS pre/power combo, so I took this home. It only took a few days before I was asking for my Nait XS back. I think I preferred it's more 'laid back' presentation, and overall, the music just seemed to flow better. Anyway I picked up another, and decided to get a Flatcap XS as well.

It does take a while to run in though. It sounds horrible out of the box, but it just needs a week and it'll be sounding sweet. I'm pretty sure I could still notice improvements more than a month after getting it. And as far as I can hear, it seems a good match for my B&W's.

A

Anonymous

Hi Potts, Thanks this is certainly excellent insight relation to the XS. will certainly spend some more time with the XS. Its intriguing but no one really has an opionion either way on the Majik. you can't find any reviews either apart from the what hifi one a year ago.

arashid

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Ah the nait xs, what a fantastic amp

I used to have one, and upgraded to a Naim 202/200 pre power combo.

I upgraded because I thought my B&W 805S could use more power.

However I could have easily lived with a nait xs forever.

Once you have a nait xs, just enjoy the music..... buy without any reservations

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just another two cents worth, I recently was looking between the Caspian and the XS and went for the Caspian, personally I found in far more involving than the XS, which I must say was a bit of a dissapointment as was liking the idea of future upgrades.
I also found the Caspian had more attack than the XS and felt genuinely excited when I was listening to it, kept wanting to try out more songs.

I must add that this was done with B&W CM8's which I don't think suited the naim and I have to add I don't think it suited the Caspian either but they were the most similar to what I had at home speaker wise.

I also liked the Leema Mk 1( as pp suggests) and as it is an older model you can probably find a few knocking about cheap,it also looked the best imo, but was more laid back compared to the Roksan but I do like my music with a lot of drive and punch .

No views on the Linn, seems a common comment,
good luck and have fun listening

Potts

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
sonos said:
Hi Potts, Thanks this is certainly excellent insight relation to the XS. will certainly spend some more time with the XS. Its intriguing but no one really has an opionion either way on the Majik. you can't find any reviews either apart from the what hifi one a year ago.

No problem, Sonos. It's definitely worth giving it some time before making any real judgements.

arashid said:
However I could have easily lived with a nait xs forever. Once you have a nait xs, just enjoy the music.....

I think this will be the case for me ha... until I'm rich! But yes, I have to agree... with the Nait XS, I just feel like it lets you enjoy the music more than anything.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Sonos
I haven't heard the Majik I but did try the older Majik pre/power and liked them, but thought they were expensive and underpowered too. I think Linn stuff comes into its own at the higher levels e.g. Akurate.
I've heard that the new Leema Elements range looks exciting and includes DAC, streamer, power amps etc so I'd wait for that in your shoes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts