Mac/Time Capsule/Sonos

ChristopherG

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody!

Can anyone help with this?

My first post here. I've just purchased a Sonus 120 and Controller which I intend to use with my Mac Time capsule with itunes.

I've not yet installed the Time Capsule or the Sonos equipment. The last posts about this type of set up are dated Nov 2009 and I wondered if there were any more recent recommendations regarding this arrangement.

Should I set up the Sonus with my Mac first and get it operational and then install the Time Capsule. Presumably I would then have to change the location of the music files from the Mac to the TC?

I'm a bit nervous about changing too many things at once and not knowing where the problem lies should there be one!

Is it better/more straightforward to use different back up software rather than "Time Machine" as I understand that TM backs up in a format that is incompatble with Sonus?

I'd apprecaiet any experience thta anyone has on the best and most straightfoward method to use this equipment together.

Many thanks for your help.

Best

Chris

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You won't be able to use the Time Capsule with Sonos as it (the Time Capsule) is NOT a NAS device, it is solely a backup device for your Mac computer and isn't designed to share out files to other devices, from what I understand of it.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
the Time Capsule will work fine with Sonos, that's what i'm using. It's fine using time time machine as your back-up, but you'll need to keep your music in a separate folder on the TC (i.e. outside of the time-machine back-up). Sonos will read music files from any network share, which makes it a lot more flexible that most other streaming products, and it means that it is compatible with the TC despite it not being a 'proper' NAS.

I tend to rip my CDs using itunes and then copy the files to my music folder on the TC. I have an overnight 're-indexing' scheduled for the Sonos, which picks up anything new that I've added.

My recommendation would be to create your music folder on the TC first, then install the Sonos. It can be a bit of a faff specifying the directory name correctly, but the Sonos support web pages have some guidance on this.

Enjoy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you still want an additional/alternative backup/restore package for your Mac then I recommend one called 'SuperDuper!'.

Very easy and quick, and it works. It makes a 'clone' backup (bootable) of the entire system including all settings.

Their 'bootable' claim is true. You can boot from your backup HD and run your system from it (I tested that to make sure) and the restore works 100 percent and is quick and very easy.

I know this because I had to do a complete system restore - after a knackered HD in my iMac was replaced - and the restore comprised a few clicks and 20 minutes waiting. (Mostly having a cup of tea.)

Job done.

Then I suppose you could 'crank up' Time Capsule just to finish of the last few bits & bobs missed since your last 'SuperDuper!' system backup. I don't use Time Capsule because I don't like having my backup HD plugged in and switched on all the time (and therefore prone to failure from the same things that might take out the primary HD).

ChristopherG

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the repiles, apologies for the delay in getting back!

Not yet set up the Sonos, apart from siting everything and wiring up the speakers etc.

My new problem is getting the TC to function! I set it up and it's decimated my broadband speed, even when connected to my imac via ethernet. when I revert back to the imac connected directly to my Netgear router all is well again.

I'm sure I'll be back when this is sorted out for Sonos help.

Happy New Year to all

Chris

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Chis - I have had no such issues with my TC. I think that you might be better off using your existing router wired into your TC via ethernet, but with it's wireless disabled and then use the TC as your wireless 'bridge'. That's what it was designed for, and in that configuration I have had no issues at all. Also unless you have a very recent router then the chances are it's not going to have wireless 'N' connectivity which the TC does and allows for a faster wireless connection with greater range (assuming you have other devices that support wireless N).

Hope you get it sorted.

ChristopherG

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dan

Thanks for the info.

I have the Netgear Router DGN2000 which is n rated and it's worked perfectly with my imac for a year or so, it also functions remarkably well with my macbook wirelessly.

I set up the TC with an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the Netgear to the WAN port on the TC then another ethernet cable from the TC LAN port to the imac. I eventually got a green light on the TC and the summary page states that the TC is working normally.

With this arrangement I cannot open a website it's so slow!

If I switch off the wireless function of the Netgear it makes no difference.

If I connect the Netgear directly into the imac, which is as it's always been I get my normal fast connection speeds.

I have the TC set up in Bridge mode, as you suggest.

What I haven't tried is removing the ethernet cable from the TC to the imac and using a wireless connection from the TC instead, is this how your system functions, or do you have an ethernet connection from your TC to your computer? I've always imagined that I'd have to have a cable between them to ensure the best speeds etc?

I'd appreciate your comments.

Best

Chris

PS Nice to see some Naim equipment in your system, I've been a convert for about 25 years!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

Because I have a Macbook, i connect wirelessly the vast majority of the time.

It sounds as if there is obviously an issue with your Mac connecting to you router 'through' the TC, but I'm afraid I'm not an expert in these matters, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to what that might be. The configuration that you have where your router is connected to the TC and the TC in turn connected to the iMac is effectively the same as I have on the odd occasion where I connect my Macbook up via ethernet, and it's always worked fine for me.

If you agree perhaps the moderators could swap our email addresses and I will send you screen shots of my TC config from Airport Utility. It's probably just one innoccuous-looking setting out of place!

You could always try to connect to the TC via wireless, which, especially at 'N' speeds, would far exceed the bandwidth of your internet connection. The only time it might hinder you compared with ethernet is if you were shifting any large volumes of data about and it might make your first time-machine back-up take a while.

Alternatively could you disable all the wireless and bridge functionality of the TC and ethernet both that and the iMac to the netgear router - how many spare LAN ports does it have?

Dan.

ChristopherG

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dan

Thanks for your help.

Screen shots would be a big help if you can arrange them please. I'm quite happy to give you my e-mail address, do I do that here or as you say do I need permission from the moderators first? Not too up on forum etiquette I'm afraid!

My Netgear Router has four LAN ports in all.

I've just tried to set up the TC wirelessly with the imac, i.e removing the ethernet connection, but no joy.

My Netgear has a light on each LAN port that illuminates whenever it detects a link with a 100Mbps device it does this when I connect the imac directly to it by ethernet cable and everything works fine. Tonight the Netgear wont detect the TC WAN port when it's connected to any of the Netgear LAN ports. I'm beginning to wonder if the TC WAN port is faulty or maybe I've just set it up incorrectly??

So do you wirelessly connect with your ZP90 from the Macbook?

Thanks again.

Best

Chris

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris,

I think it's best to ask the moderators to exchange our email addresses so that you don't have to post it up here where anyone can see it. I'll start a new thread asking the mods to exchange our email addresses - keep an eye out for it.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what the issue with your TC is from the descriptions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an obscure setting that's amiss.

My ZP90 is connected to my TC (where I have a folder where my music is stored) via ethernet - ZP120s in other zones connect to that wirelessly.

Dan.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi - sorry don't know if this is the right way to go about this so apologies if not.

As per ChristopherG's thread Mac/Time Capsule/Sonos

If he agrees would you kindly be able to exchange our email addresses so I can provide him with screen shots of the config screens for my Time Capsule to assist him with setting it up.

many thanks,

Dan.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:
Hi Chris,
I think it's best to ask the moderators to exchange our email addresses so that you don't have to post it up here where anyone can see it. I'll start a new thread asking the mods to exchange our email addresses - keep an eye out for it.

That shouldn't be necessary, a moderator will probably read this message anyway.

My ZP90 is connected to my TC (where I have a folder where my music is stored) via ethernet - ZP120s in other zones connect to that wirelessly.

Goes without saying (or maybe it doesn't) that the ZP120s are connecting using the Sonos wireless network, completely independent of any other wireless devices you might have.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you trying plugging the LAN port of your TC into the netgear. Also plug the Imac into the Netgear. Ignore the WAN port

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
OK..err...embarrassed to say but tried to paste some screen shots here once before and couldn't get it to work... In fact maybe i'm not the best guy to be advising anyone on technical matters!

I'll give it a bash in the meantime though.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
OK here goes - looks like it's working. Here are all the ones that I think are relevant - hope this helps!

Edit - drat - I can paste them in, but when i 'post' they don't appear....It is as simple as just pasting the screen shots in isn't it...or am I being dumb?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Dan Turner:OK here goes - looks like it's working. Here are all the ones that I think are relevant - hope this helps!
Edit - drat - I can paste them in, but when i 'post' they don't appear....It is as simple as just pasting the screen shots in isn't it...or am I being dumb?

All the URLs you are pasting in are coming up as, for example, "webkit-fake-url://0F618001-E5B6-4D1E-8916-93948E92181F/image.tiff"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts