Lounge setup/ multiroom listening, WIRE FREE!!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, a close friend and his wife are moving into a new bungalow and they are planning on having ( or wanting should I say ) a main system in the lounge 5.1 or 7.1 setup plus incorperating a multi zone listening enviroment. This would consist of ceiling speakers in the diner, kitchen bedroom and possibly outdoors on patio area! The main thing here is that the multi zone would need to be wire free as they cannot bear wires showing. I recommended a decent setup in lounge but said front ceiling speakers would be a no no! Can anyone recommend a typical setup for this? Also I said for the other rooms maybe a wireless multizone, Sonus mayb? This would be a professional install I'm guessing. They willing to spend between 5K & 7.5K, any dealers we should try for a quote? Thanks muchly

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sta99y:Hi everyone, a close friend and his wife are moving into a new bungalow and they are planning on having ( or wanting should I say ) a main system in the lounge 5.1 or 7.1 setup plus incorperating a multi zone listening enviroment. This would consist of ceiling speakers in the diner, kitchen bedroom and possibly outdoors on patio area! The main thing here is that the multi zone would need to be wire free as they cannot bear wires showing. I recommended a decent setup in lounge but said front ceiling speakers would be a no no! Can anyone recommend a typical setup for this? Also I said for the other rooms maybe a wireless multizone, Sonus mayb? This would be a professional install I'm guessing. They willing to spend between 5K & 7.5K, any dealers we should try for a quote? Thanks muchly

Yeah this is exactly what Sonos is made for, although they WILL need one Zoneplayer connected to their router (they do have a router right?), although this could be a Zonebridge which is small and easily hidden, other than that everything else can be wireless, other than the speaker connections obviously. They could even have the zoneplayers hidden (if so it might be worth wiring them together for added stability, although Sonos doesn't usually need it). Add a couple of controllers (unless they've got iPhones?) and you're away.

So let's say 4xZP120 (£399x4), 1xBR100 (£69) and say 2xCR200 (2x£279) = £2223 which should leave plenty for installation.

Will they be wanting music in the lounge as well though? Presumably they can use the amp that you've recommended so they'd need a ZP90 in there, that means you can get a BU250 bundle, which is a CR200, a ZP90 and a ZP120, so:

1xBU250 (£799), 3xZP120 (£399x3), 1xBR100 (£69) and 1xCR200 (£279) = £2344, £121 less than above. If the router is in the living room they could even drop the BR100 as well.

Another alternative is replace the kitchen and outdoor ZP120s with a single S5 and just move it between the two areas, even if they get two S5s instead of ZP120s they're going to save about a hundred quid as the S5, ridiculously, is 50 quid cheaper than the ZP120!

I wouldn't think about any other system, provided they've got the storage for their tunes? Check in a NAS for a couple of hundred quid maybe unless they've got a PC they leave on all the time?

As for who, I'd have thought your nearest Sevenoaks could handle this easily.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely fab reply. That took some time for you to type the reply but it's so much appreciated!! I have heard of the sonus system but not looked into it in great depth but you seem to no your stuff as your explanation and product knowledge is far superior to mine. Thanks again bud. :)

Just a quick question= my local richersounds do the Sonus and I do get some discount from there, I have noticed they do installs etc... Is it worth getting a quote from them also as I guess they would use a contractor to do installs!

As to a previous question about a router is yes they will be havin Sky package. They currently use sky for broadband however all they get is 1meg due to the area I guess, and the new property is right behind the property they currently in. Virgin is not an option as no install in there street! Anyone recommend another provider? Thanks all

I agree with the_lhc. Sonos is by far the best option for you. You can look at Cambridge Audio Incognito & Raumfeld if you're really bothered to look at alternatives.

There's no harm in getting a quote from Richer Sounds. You can then decide if you want them to install it for you.

Choice of broadband is dependant on the area you live. I was previously with AOL but got fed up when, during one technical problem, AOL asked me to contact BT (the line provider) saying it's a line problem & BT maintained it's a problem with AOL. I'm now with BT broadband (so no more passing the buck!). I know I can get cheaper deals, but I'm quite happy with BT's excellent technical support & reliable broadband.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Cheers big boss, I think il recommend the sonus and get a couple of quotes. If sonus is running the wireless thru the house then a midrange setup for the lounge would be fine? In ceiling speakers for rears and some matching fronts center & sub. Which makes offer ceiling speakers as well as cabinets?

Love your lounge setup Boss!

sta99y: If sonus is running the wireless thru the house then a midrange setup for the lounge would be fine?

Yes. Should be fine.

sta99y: Which makes offer ceiling speakers as well as cabinets?

B&W, Monitor Audio, KEF among others.

sta99y: Love your lounge setup Boss!

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts