Looking for inspiration

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having now got a half decent TT up and running I am looking for inspiration on expanding my virtually non existent LP collection.

Mostly listened to (on CD) at the moment include........

Jazz, Madeleine Peyroux, Melody Gardot, Miles Davis (with caution), Mick Bubble, Stanley Clarke

Folk (ish), James Taylor, Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention, Dylan,

Easy, The Carpenters, Barbara Dickson,

Other Stuff, Eagles, Ten Years After, Wilburys

So, not an exhaustive list but bearing in mind what I have listed are there any recommendations you could make that would fit in well with the above.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Anything by Diana Krall. Bought this recently (at Bristol Show) on heavyweight vinyl and it's superb:

all-for-you.jpg

A

Anonymous

Richard Thompson, Cowboy Junkies, Neil Young, Linda Ronstadt, more TYA.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Some oldies you might want to try
Lindisfarne - Fog On The Tyne
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Steely Dan - Cant Buy A Thrill
Gerry Rafferty - City To City
Barclay James Harvest - Once Again or Everybody Is Everyone Else
Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
All are on Spotify so you could listen first and should be available secondhand. The Sting album is also re-released on 180g.
Dire Straits albums are well worth listening to and at least 3 are available on 180g or Brothers In Arms is on half speed re-mastered if you want to spend £50.
Have a walk around the charity shops there was some excellent copies of some ELO (Not my scene) albums in my town last Thursday.

None of the above are heavy and would fit in with Jethro Tull, The Eagles and Fairport Convention from your list.
As I type this I'm playing Dire Straits first album off vinyl and it sounds great to me.

A

Anonymous

try these ... 1 recomendation from each genre: (all avail on spotify to listen and not sure if all are freely avail on vinyl)

Jazz: Dave Brubeck ... Take Five

Folk: Joan Baez ... Diamonds and Rust

Easy: k.d.Lang ... Hymns of the 49th parallel (some songs by Neil Young)

Other stuff: Eric Clapton ... Unplugged

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far...Its amazing to see that out of the offerings so far I have a few of them in my collection already...things like Brubeck, Rafferty, Costello.

I have tried to listen to Diana Krall on a couple of occasions but it just leaves me feeling flat...sorry Clare...Keep them coming, you are all giving me ample food for thought so far...Thanks

A

Anonymous

A few more of my favourites that may interest you (not sure if I have these in the right Genre categories):

Jazz: Di Meola Mc Laughlin De Lucia .... Friday Night in San Fransico

Buena Vista Social Club .... Buena Vista Social Club At Carnegie Hall

Folk: Gillian Welch ... Soul Journey

Norah Jones ... Come away with Me

Katie Melua .... Pictures

Easy: Cat Stevens .... Teaser and the firecat

Leonard Cohen .... Ten New Songs

America .... America's Greatest Hits

Crosby & Nash .... Songs for beginners

Other stuff: Nils Lofgren .... Acoustic Live

Etta James .... Blues to the Bone

Muddy Waters .... Folk Singer

Jackson Browne .... Solo Acoustic Vol 1

Thea Gilmore .... Recorded Delivery

A

Anonymous

Van Morrison Moondance on 180g sounds sweet

Miles Davis Kind of Blue on 180g

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
As you have some Gerry Rafferty, do you have any Stealers Wheel?
I have a mate who likes Michael Buble and Stanley Clark he also listens to Tom Scott and Larry Carlton so perhaps give them a try.
He also listens to Toto you'll know the tracks Rosanna, Africa and Hold The Line.
As you like the Eagles I would presume you've got some Glenn Frey.
I've just got a copy of The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me which you may like, you should know the tracks China Grove and Long Train Runnin'.
All are available on vinyl.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Plenty of food for thought. I am still surprised about the number of suggestions that I already have inmy collection on CD. Are music lovers that predictable?

A

Anonymous

Jimmy Smith, Organgrinders Swing Wes Montgomery, Complete Live In Paris 1965 Martin Taylor, Spirit of Django Diana Krall, When i look in your eyes, or Live in Paris

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
4128S9Y5R7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Raym87. I played this off vinyl this morning and it would fit in with your Folk/Soft Rock/AOR music if you don't already have it.
You probably know the tracks Ventura Highway and California Revisited. Worth looking out for secondhand.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
4128S9Y5R7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Raym87. I played this off vinyl this morning and it would fit in with your Folk/Soft Rock/AOR taste.
You may know the tracks Ventura Highway and California Revisited.Worth looking out for secondhand perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS