Long term keepers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

the record spot:Only two I think; my late dad bought me a NAD 3020A way back in 1986 and I'll be hanging on to that for good. For different reasons (we now have twins!) I will be hanging on to the rest of my gear for some time. That said, a sterling buy has been - on a WHF recommendation a decade ago - Mission's 733i floorstanders. Extremely capable with all types of music, a good misdrange and treble. The bass can get unruly on occasion, but that's easily managed by bungs in the bass ports. A solid 5 star buy at £330 then and they'll last another ten years hopefully. Great speakers.

LOL - what a difference a year makes!

A pair of Mission 752s has seen the 733i speakers put out to pasture in the spare room upstairs. Suspect they'll be going on Ebay or Gumtree before long.

The old Linn CD player went and became a new Marantz SACD/CD effort which is remarkably good VFM (or was) at £600, but getting it at half price was a bit of a winner. Took a bit of a while to get used to the new sound; very lean articulate bass although more realistic than I've heard before, rich midband and a rolled off treble. Very neutral too I think, it leaves little of its character imprinting on the music in the way that the Linn did.

The amp nearly changed, and I bought an early 1980s Technics SU-V6 off Ebay recently. More bottom end and good highs, nothing like the "warm" Technics of the mid-90s, but it lacked substance in the midrange and that's where most of the music lives! It's likely to go to another sale, although I may set up a second system based round vinyl.

Best buy of the year then? The 752's are great speakers no question, for the £75 I paid, an absolute steal and in another league, but I have to go with the SA7001-KI. It really is a fine player for the money and all you really want to do is play disc after disc. Objective achieved then Marantz!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've had my Sennheiser HD410's for 27 years now. Part of my first hifi. I couldn't afford speakers. Since then I've had to replace the yellow foam pads with microphone shields, that's it, they just work. I'm sort of sentimentally attached to them now, but I could do with better. I can't let them go though. Probably the best £14 I've spent on hifi. I got them from Boots the chemist too, honest!

A

Anonymous

If four years of the love of hi-fi is a matter worth speaking then I have my few. In the blessed limits of my interest I have yet to get rid of the B&W 685s, my original Beresford DAC and a Pioneer amp my father gave me.

A

Anonymous

The Sondek, Spendor S100s, Nakamichi CR-7, The Jecklin Electrostatic. Actually it occurs that it would be quicker to say what I would replace, irreparable breakdowns aside. The Sony Tuner, and the JVC DVD/Vhs Combi. Thats about it!

A

Anonymous

I cannot see me ever wanting to change my speakers - 1985 T+A Spectrum ADL III's. I have done a bit of work to them to bring out their best but for the money i have spent on them they just make me smile every time i listen to them! Also, i would have to spend a whole lot of money to get anything better!

A

Anonymous

My Spendor SA1s and upgraded Quad. I'll hang on to them as a second system rather than ever be rid of them. The Rotel RA03 will stay in the family as it's a corking little amp. Not yet found a CDP to catch my attention particularly.

A

Anonymous

clivej:Hughes123:JVC will be with me forever...hi-fi maybe not...but fun-fi yes!
oh, so not arcam then...

Nah, the Arc's just another hi-end amplifier - the JVC A-X5 is something very special indeed. Wouldn't mind an A-X9 though!

A

Anonymous

Oh, and I have no reason to upgrade my CD player - the Arcam CD73 - it's superb in every way and even much more expensive CD players offer no improvement to my ears!

My KEFs are excellent if you like a "forward" sound - and I do - however, there is room for improvement and after uni I'm sure I'll upgrade them to some £1000-2000 speakers. No need yet though.

Turntable - as soon as possible!

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Just upgraded my interconnect and speaker cables and have Clearer Audio mains cable on order - so once these are all in place I can't see me wanting to my cd/amp/speakers for a long time.

However this doesn't mean I won't eventually add some good headphones (AKG 701), sub (BK Monolith), turntable (Rega).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I won't be upgrading my ProAcs for a long, long time. They will always be useful at that size as a very good second pair of speakers for the kitchen, wherever I'm living.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I won't be upgrading my ProAcs for a long, long time. They will always be useful at that size as a very good second pair of speakers for the kitchen, wherever I'm living.

ÿ

The Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signatures, superb speakers. Why don't you buy a killer sub and flog the Dalis?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I still have some old Ae 109 floorstanders from the early ninties ,I have the evo 3 now,definatley not selling them on , the 109,s go loud without fatigue, so do the evo3 rare in budget speakers,guess I like the AE sound!

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Ive been buying kit for over 30 years and its rare i sell anything.Ive got about 12 or more preamps ect cant bare to part with things that have served me well for so long.

TRENDING THREADS