london grammar

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
Good man. It's very laid back and introspective. I really hope you enjoy it.

I have two concerns regarding my suggested material. Looking at your kit it is obviously very revealing, far more so than mine. The releases you have purchased are slap bang in the middle of the loudness wars and are also 'pop' music - notorious for being poorly recorded. Some of my CD's can sound dire on my system so god only knows how these will sound on your Devialet! My choice in music has become the determining factor for no further upgrades to my kit. Just thought I'd warn you.

I have no doubt that Kate's album is going to sound fantastic.

D

Deleted member 108165

Womaz said:
This is a great thread. I am a huge fan of LG and I can't wait for the second album.

It certainly is an interesting thread with lots of suggestions. My hat is off to Andrew for not getting shirty over thread hi-jacking.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Womaz said:
This is a great thread. I am a huge fan of LG and I can't wait for the second album.

It certainly is an interesting thread with lots of suggestions. My hat is off to Andrew for not getting shirty over thread hi-jacking.

Its good to hear about artists that might have gone unnoticed. There are 2 here mentioned that i want to hear later.

This is much better than talking about the sonic effects of different speaker wires. I think we dont talk about music enough. The real reson to be interested in hifi.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It's great to get musical recommendations (spotify makes accessing so much easier) . It's so nice that we can respect other people's musical tastes - mostly. - Im off to listen to a little bit more Hannah - and definitely June Tabor

tonky

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Janis Joplin & Aretha Franklin deserve a mention methinks and Kate Bush. I really like Regina Spektor and Joanna Newsome of the more recent lady singers.

Don't get London Grammar at all but each to their own and glad you (mostly) all like something enough to writs about it on here.

If you go on youtube and type janis joplin ball and chain live
Just that one video got me to buy her cds.

Kate bush is very fasinating to listen too also

And ill check.out the other ones thanks

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Janis Joplin & Aretha Franklin deserve a mention methinks and Kate Bush. I really like Regina Spektor and Joanna Newsome of the more recent lady singers.

Don't get London Grammar at all but each to their own and glad you (mostly) all like something enough to write about it on here.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
knaithrover said:

Don't get London Grammar at all but each to their own and glad you (mostly) all like something enough to writs about it on here.

If you go on youtube and type janis joplin ball and chain live Just that one video got me to buy her cds.

Kate bush is very fasinating to listen too also

And ill check.out the other ones thanks

Did you see the film about her, was on the BBC last year. Absolutely incredible. That's what got me into her. Then listened to Pearl for the first time, and what a joy. Brilliant brilliant album. And nice to find an unheard classic when you're middle aged.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Kate rusby....Yeah,not bad, but over exposed on radio 2 in my opinion. Cara dillan...Brilliant.

And Beth Orton....Probably my favourite female singer. Go and listen to sugaring season album if you haven't already. Only one off track for me, a jarring piano track midway through.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
 Kate rusby....Yeah,not bad, but over exposed on radio 2 in my opinion. Cara dillan...Brilliant.

And Beth Orton....Probably my favourite female singer. Go and listen to sugaring season album if you haven't already. Only one off track for me, a jarring piano track midway through.
Ive missed the bbc on janis joplin. When i saw the ball n chain live, i thought to myself she could sing any of the popular male rock bands under the table.
But ill check out a few artists youve mentioned here. Not heard of them. Always in the look out for new female artists. Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

Ive missed the bbc on janis joplin. When i saw the ball n chain live, i thought to myself she could sing any of the popular male rock bands under the table. But ill check out a few artists youve mentioned here. Not heard of them. Always in the look out for new female artists. Thanks

For a very special treat, try 'Cheap Thrills'. Joplin was still relatively unkown at this time and her performance is largely free of the posturing and artifice that came later, my favourite.

Great band too, led by Sam Huston Andrew III, searing rock/blues backing compliments Joplin far better than the 'soul/boogie' style of later albums. Recorded 'live' in the studio (in the most part), sound quality is excellent for 1968 and the 'feel' of the performance is outstanding.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
For all those Janis Joplin fans out there you might like to check out Beth Hart who's a similarly raunchy and shouty singer in the JJ mould. She's released a couple of albums with Joe Bonamassa that are well worth a listen. Not heard any of her solo stuff though apart from the odd track on Radio Paradise.

https://youtu.be/cOLTrrcWE5c

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

Ive missed the bbc on janis joplin. When i saw the ball n chain live, i thought to myself she could sing any of the popular male rock bands under the table. But ill check out a few artists youve mentioned here. Not heard of them. Always in the look out for new female artists. Thanks

For a very special treat, try 'Cheap Thrills'. Joplin was still relatively unkown at this time and her performance is largely free of the posturing and artifice that came later, my favourite.

Great band too, led by Sam Huston Andrew III, searing rock/blues backing compliments Joplin far better than the 'soul/boogie' style of later albums. Recorded 'live' in the studio (in the most part), sound quality is excellent for 1968 and the 'feel' of the performance is outstanding.

Will check it out.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

Yeah I'm new to her too. What a singer, and a personality!

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't know how I ever missed her on my radar but I've now ordered some Nina Simone too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
Live session tonight, Jo Whiley, R2, from 8pm. (I've never heard them myself, certainly heard of them)

Thanks
thumbs_up.gif
. I would love to see them live .

A live performance taster for you .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eNA90LlxmY

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
Proves that not "all modern music is rubbish" as some say.

I instantly liked 'Thing of Gold' by that bunch of 'kids', Snarky Puppy.

Some will know of them, if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBlRkF0-to

I really like this,.

Thanks .
thumbs_up.gif

D

Deleted member 108165

London Grammar: I can see the attraction with this group; arrangements and musicianship are very good and suit Hannah’s voice impeccably. I find Hannah a cross between Enya and Dido.

Kate Rusby: Again I can see the attraction but I would really need to be in the right mood to listen to this double album all the way through. Her voice surprised me, very youthful and almost childlike, but quite beautiful and captivating at the same time. This is my first folk CD so I may take a little time to get in the groove.

Nina Simone: Double album of her hits. Apart from her well known tracks, which I really like, unfortunately I find her too much of a warbler on most of the others.

I guess I just like artists who have big voices combined with up-tempo arrangements. All the CD’s are keepers as with more exposure and maybe an evolving change in musical taste these will come into their own one day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts