logitech squeezebox touch

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all I have been offered a Logitech squeeze box.touch I'm thinking of getting to connect to my hifi but was wondering if anyone knows if they are any good.and i have a hard drive with a lot of flac music on can a hard drive connect to the squeeze box USD port. Regards ian

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
It's a good bit of kit.

In theory you can attach a hard drive but in practice I believe this does not work too well as the hardware is not up to running the internal server software. It is much better to run the server software (Logitech Media Server or LMS) externally and have the Touch connect to that.

You could try it out on any PC initially, though you will probably want to find a more permanent solution at some point. Basically if you want the system to be on and accessible pretty much at all times, you will need to have LMS running somewhere. Some people use an old laptop and it is possible to run LMS on certain NAS drives.

However, it is becoming increasingly common for people to run LMS on Raspberry Pis, which are more than powerful enough in their current versions, while drawing sufficiently low current not to worry about leaving on all day. (In case it sounds a bit scary, setting up LMS on a Pi is really simple - people have already done the complicated bits, so it's just a case of downloading software and copying it onto an SD card - there is plenty of help out there.)

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your help just a thought but would a usb memory stick with flac files on play ok if so what size is the max memory stick it will take. Regards Ian

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been using a SBT for many years now, I think they are brilliant. Over the years I've mainly used it for the internet radio function but for the last few months I've started streaming my music to it as well.

I now have approx 1800 albums, mainly FLAC rips, loaded onto my Synology NAS that I can stream to my SBT. It works a treat, I've had no issues whatsoever.

I've never used a USB stick so can't answer that question. There's an excellent online forum that will answer any questions you may have.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Of a SBT that was used for a number of years. It sounded very good for the money and was far more reliable than the squeezebox duet that it replaced.

As mentioned earlier, it’s best hooked up to a computer or NAS with the LMS software installed and not sure how stable it will be attempting to play using a well loaded memory stick.

It took quite a hefty wad of notes to improve on the sound quality that the SBT provided (Linn Majik DSM). Have fun. It’s a great little box!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as internet radio, I forgot to mention that I listened to Spotify as well through my SBT. Last year Logitech stopped support for Spotify but I now use a 3rd party app called Spotty which means I can still listen to Spotify on my SBT. Also, there are plenty of free apps you can download on your phone, tablet etc. to play the SBT. I've used SqueezeCommander and Squeezer, as well as the official Logitech app. They all work fine but SqueezeCommander is my favourite.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
rockerman66 said:
Hi all I have been offered a Logitech squeeze box.touch I'm thinking of getting to connect to my hifi but was wondering if anyone knows if they are any good.and i have a hard drive with a lot of flac music on can a hard drive connect to the squeeze box USD port. Regards ian

I use a SBT with a USB hard drive attached and it works great. A bit slow in the menus sometime but nothing major. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Originally I tried a 64GB USB flash drive full of MP3 files but that had a few issues and kept crashing but since swapping it for a proper USB hard disk drive I haven't had any issues. YMMV

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
+1 for the SBT ... I have one, mainly for internet radio / Deezer streaming duties. As most people have said, you can set up a low powered NAS to store your music library and act an LMS media server. The great thing about the Squeezebox open architecture is that you can use many other types of device to run the squeezelite software e.g. a Raspberry Pi or cheap laptop, an O2 Joggler, or in my case I even got a Simple Audio Roomplayer with amp acting as a Squeezelite player for less than £80

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
rockerman66 said:

I love mine (in fact I've just updated my old thread under "Computer Media" section.

I would stay away from plugging in a Hard Drive directly unless it's just a few songs. The onboard server software doesn't really handle lots of music very well.

You would be better off with a NAS or a computer. I think the software is still available.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
smbmetal said:
I love mine (in fact I've just updated my old thread under "Computer Media" section.
I would stay away from plugging in a Hard Drive directly unless it's just a few songs. The onboard server software doesn't really handle lots of music very well.

You would be better off with a NAS or a computer. I think the software is still available.

Using the onboard software with just a hard disk plugged in to the SBT is working well for me but judging by the crashes that I had when I tried a USB flashdrive I expect that in most situations using the SBT with a NAS or computer is more stable.

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for your help would the squeezebox touch sonnd as good as Onkyo NS-6130 that I was think of getting. I've been offered the squeezebox slot cheaper then the onkyo. Regards Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts