Literacy and numeracy

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
"... but now we’ve been able to gather five price-comparable rivals around them, it seems the Monitor Audios can impress regardless of the numeracy of their rivals." (emphasis added)

Now according to my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary numeracy is "The quality or state of being numerate; ability with or knowledge of numbers." so apparently we have speakers that can count and maybe even do sums. Personally I think WhatHiFi should be more concerned with the literacy of their journalists more than the numeracy of speakers. :rofl:

Chris

PS Literacy (SOED) - The quality or state of being literate; knowledge of letters; condition in respect to education, esp. ability to read and write.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Enjoyed your post. Thought the PS deserved a reply -

Pedant (WIKI) - A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of his or her learning. (emphasis added)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
"... but now we’ve been able to gather five price-comparable rivals around them, it seems the Monitor Audios can impress regardless of the numeracy of their rivals." (emphasis added)

Now according to my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary numeracy is "The quality or state of being numerate; ability with or knowledge of numbers." so apparently we have speakers that can count and maybe even do sums. Personally I think WhatHiFi should be more concerned with the literacy of their journalists more than the numeracy of speakers. :rofl:

Chris

PS Literacy (SOED) - The quality or state of being literate; knowledge of letters; condition in respect to education, esp. ability to read and write.

Exactly. This sentence means nothing other than to highlight what you have.

My own spelling is shocking since starting to read forums. Once upon a time I would be spot on but viewing so many mistakes, so often, I find myself in error much more than ever before. Horrible state of affairs. :oops:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
fatman said:

Pedant (WIKI) - A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of his or her learning. (emphasis added)

I can be quite pedantic but it is quite astonishing that whoever edited this review didn't notice the mistake. The old fogey in me is muttering something about "falling standards".
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
fatman said:

I can be quite pedantic but it is quite astonishing that whoever edited this review didn't notice the mistake. The old fogey in me is muttering something about "falling standards".
smiley-laughing.gif

No, I think you just want something else to bash the magazine with, you've done the "reviewers are compromised" shtick but this is looking a little desperate.

I don't understand why people who are so anti everything the magazine does bother to spend so much time here.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
fatman said:

smiley-laughing.gif

No, I think you just want something else to bash the magazine with, you've done the "reviewers are compromised" shtick but this is looking a little desperate.

I don't understand why people who are so anti everything the magazine does bother to spend so much time here.

So you think it's a good idea that journalists should write gibberish? I assume you've never heard of criticism.

I look at this forum because many of the members have valuable things to say and experiences to share.

Chris

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Covenanter said:
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
fatman said:

smiley-laughing.gif

So you think it's a good idea that journalists should write gibberish? I assume you've never heard of criticism.

I look at this forum because many of the members have valuable things to say and experiences to share.

Chris

I agree, and it isn't as if WHFS&V? staff are averse to mocking other publications' mistakes. But then I'm still sore about the time someone deleted my (quite correct) comment that they should maybe give a few less editor titles out, and a few more proof reader ones.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
:)
fatman said:

:) :clap:

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
fatman said:

Most of the posters on this forum are concerned about precision. Isn't that the whole point of most of the debates (especially cables)?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Chris

I think I like you.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
fatman said:

(Emphasis added to excessively by me.)

In this case it isn't really excessive, and like it or not, seeing as magazines, etc. have professional writers and editors they should probably be held to a higher standard than random forum postings (phew, managed to excuse my own lazy posts there).

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yawn.

The smart-arses and nitpickers on this forum wasting time and derailing other good threads with pap like this (Andrew Everhart), could really do with trying some fresh air and immodium to relieve their constipation over a couple misjudged words.

Life really is too short to moan about this kind of thing.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
ksoundwerx said:
The smart-arses and nitpickers on this forum wasting time and derailing other good threads with pap like this (Andrew Everhart), could really do with trying some fresh air and immodium to relieve their constipation over a couple misjudged words.

DON'T FOLLOW THIS MAN'S ADVICE! IMMODIUM WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE :exmark:

(Believe me, I'm a doctor. I should know) ;)

(A walk in the fresh air is a good tip, though)

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Aha, you are of course correct Doctor. Imodium would not be adviseable with constipation. Whilst losing the will to live I confused laxitves with afformentioned diarrhoea relief drug. :doh:

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
ksoundwerx said:
Yawn.

Life really is too short to moan about this kind of thing.

Don't read it then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts