Listening?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Been away from hifi for a few years, was just wondering how many of you guys actually go and listen to equipment before buying anything? That includes cables too. So much is available on the internet, both new and 2nd hand, and a lot of people seem to get the opinions of others via forums such as this one before buying. So who trusts their own experiences before handing over their hard earned?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Like most people here, I would strongly advise that you always listen to amplifiers and speakers before making a purchase because they can vary quite considerably in their sound.*

When it comes to CD players, streamers and DACs auditioning first isn't so important as the differences between these are very small to non-existent. If possible it's still best to go and have a listen for yourself just to be sure though.

* Dispite this advice I actually bought my speakers 'blind' and couldn't have been happier with them.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Interesting and not an uncommon opinion - that CD players (in particular) and DACs these days all sound much the same. I'm not sure I believe this.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Interesting and not an uncommon opinion - that CD players (in particular) and DACs these days all sound much the same. I'm not sure I believe this.

Most modern DAC's will sound the same unless they've been 'botched' in some way. Apparently a badly implemented DAC can give off RF interferce which will effect some amplifiers more than others.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought my current speakers blind, discontinued and heavily discounted (from their original price of £950 to £350 delivered) from an on-line retailer. But seeing that they were replacing a pair of £250 floor-standers, I figured I had nothing to lose. I really would not normally advise doing this.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
So much is available on the internet, both new and 2nd hand
When buying second hand, the calculation is, to my mind, a bit different. You're not taking a hit on depreciation, so if the deal's good, then buying blind is less of a risk.
But I certainly wouldn't buy new kit blind.
Tear Drop said:
I'm with you on this one; there are good reasons why DACs can sound different (not least the power supplies and implementation and quality of components in the analogue output). I've heard well respected DACs in my system that have sounded utterly different.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm with you on this one; there are good reasons why DACs can sound different (not least the power supplies and implementation and quality of components in the analogue output). I've heard well respected DACs in my system that have sounded utterly different.

I can't say that I've ever failed to hear differences between components, digital or otherwise.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar, how did the speakers turn out?

Marantz CD63KI - nice, my first ever CD player (many years ago), which I auditioned extensively.

abacus

Under no circumstances would I buy blind unless a 100% guaranteed return was allowed.

In most cases the more expensive the equipment the better the quality of the components thus differences become small, however how each item interacts with each other is more important than cost if you want to have a well-balanced sound.

Bill

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Tear Drop said:

DACs so therefore CDPs do sound different IMO - as do amplifiers etc. The difference I can detect between interconnects is so tiny, it maybe down to imagination.

The problem for many is proof of course. If only ABX testing was conclusive - IMO it ain't conclusive at all.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a long long time since I bought anything that I actually listened to before buying.

I'm not counting cash on collection purchases where the functioning of the items have been tested by giving them a quick listen before handing over the cash. These demos don't tell you a lot about how anything will perform when you get it home in your system.

All of my proper auditioning happens after I've bought it. So far, 80% to 90% have been keepers, with the remaining 10% to 20% sold on for more or less what I paid for it.

The main reason for this approach has simply been because the kit that I've been interested in hasn't be available for audition anywhere, not in existing owners homes, not at hi-fi shows, not at dealers, nowhere.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
Under no circumstances would I buy blind unless a 100% guaranteed return was allowed.

In most cases the more expensive the equipment the better the quality of the components thus differences become small, however how each item interacts with each other is more important than cost if you want to have a well-balanced sound.

Bill

I've found the opposite as I've bought components with better and better sound quality.

For example, my favourite speakers work well with my favourite solid state amp and my favourite valve amp. They're both good amps with different strengths and weaknesses. My favourite analogue sources work well with any of my amp and speaker combinations. My analogue sources and my 3 favourite speakers all have relatively neutral tonal balances. Mixing and matching them is easy.

TRENDING THREADS