Listening to hard/Heavy Rock

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Which one? I think 'Vol 3' is the best musically and production wise. The first album is good too. Not a lover of 'Iowa' personally, and can't remember much about the last album.

I'd class myself as a minor fan. I enjoy it, but musically it's a bit lightweight (the writing, not the heaviness!)

I don't know what other metal/rock you're already into, but I'd recommend checking out 'Opeth', 'Textures', & 'Gojira' for starters. Heavy but intelligent with it, and all well produced.

A

Anonymous

Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses and All hope is Gone are greatly produced, Am going into Hevier Rock this times, think I will Experiment into your suggestions, I am currently listening to mp3s as I Have ordered both Volume 3 and Last album as both recieved good reviews.

What else would you suggest....................., I would be consider myself a Rock Fan from Classic (Pink Floyd Led Zeppelin etc), to Medium Heavy( Metallica, Iron Maiden) and am trying some heavier stuff, so any suggestions welcome.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
OK. Try to hear some.....

Dream Theater (progressive metal. Medium heavy. Epic songs, many rolling in over 10 minutes long)

Lamb Of God (Speed metal with melody, not just a wall of noise. Best album is 'Sacrament').

Meshuggah (Not particularly fast, but as heavy as non death-metal/doom-metal gets. Progressive in a new way. Try to hear 'Bleed' or 'Combustion' on Youtube). May be a step too far for you though.

Tool. Very, very good band. hard rock/softer metal with brains and feeling. Check out their album 'Lateralus'.

Devin Townsend. His album 'Terria' is a hidden gem. Those not in the know are missing out. I'd say BUY IT NOW! Has the added bonus of being produced very, very well.

Strapping Young Lad. Devin Townsend's old band. Pure, brutal, speed metal. A tad 2 dimensional, but perfect for those times when nothing else will do.

Fear Factory. Awesomely good industrial thrash type stuff. Try 'Obsolete' or their latest album 'Mechanize'.

Those will get you started. If you report back with the stuff you liked and the stuff you didn't, it'll give me a greater idea of other stuff to recommend to you. Youtube is a great resource for finding new bands.

A

Anonymous

Dream Theater are a great band, with excellent musicians, Petrucci is a great guitarist and Portnoy is one of the Best drummers around, and he will be recording on the next Avenged sevenfold album. Tool i had some chances to listen too,

Kind of like you Devin twonsend Description will try...................

Am listening to Disturbed too, not bad at all.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I second the Big boy's recommendation of 'Meshuggah'. They are an assault on the senses, but once you 'get it', you see how amazing they are as musicians. Once you get into 'Meshuggah' all other metal bands seem a bit less talented.

I would recommend 'Obzen' as a first buy, or 'Nothing' (the blue covered version, not yellow. The yellow version was a rush job, that the band weren't happy with, so they re-recorded the whole thing, resulting in the Blue cover version. It's much better, with a whole load more grunt to the guitars.)

A

Anonymous

My metal knowledge is very limited but If you like the heavy rock stuff try Coheed and Cambria. Particularly III or IV (I can't be bothered to type the full titles) or Dust by Sceaming Trees. Also if you want try try something a bit hardcore try-Relationship Of Command by At The Drive-in, Young Machete by Blood Brothers or In Nothing We Trust by Reuben

A

Anonymous

Other Good albums in Rock scene I am listening

Three days Grace: One-X very Melodic Rock

Disturbed: The Sickness, Unrbeakable,

Slipknot's Vol 3 is really a greatly produced, escecially the drums are inrebibly fast and clean, had listened to small parts of it but after having the whole thing it is really incredible, altough (a bit) heavy..............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts