Listening Fatigue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently borrowed a Music Fidelity A5 amp to compare with my K2. Initially I thought that it was much better, bigger soundstage, more, well controlled bass and greater separation. However... after a while fatigue starts to set in (not listening at extreme volumes).

Does anyone know what causes listening fatigue?

Thanks

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
The more detailed the sound , more prone to listening fatigue.more bass less treble is minus prone to it.but with any system you can get listening fatigue.just means your brain needs a rest from sound.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Not even sure what you mean by listening fatigue? is it a physical or mental symptom?

It is physical, you just want to turn the volume further down. My ears actually became sore after listening for a couple of hours.

You must have a well balance system.

A

Anonymous

ear:The more detailed the sound , more prone to listening fatigue.more bass less treble is minus prone to it.but with any system you can get listening fatigue.just means your brain needs a rest from sound.

The A5 is certainly producing more bass, that could well be the problem. I have some rega r3's in the loft, I may give these a try tonight.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess I am not playing anywhere near the volumes you enjoy. I sometimes start the day at around 5:30am (Radio 4 on quietly) and have peak volumes from around 11am - 3pm (guaranteed no neighbours) and start to ramp the volumes down a bit between when the wife comes in at 6pm until the telly (inevitably) goes on around 9:30pm after supper.

So yes, it is not unusual for me to be listening for up to 16 hours at diffferent volumes to everything from jazz, classical, rock, pop, spoken word, Radio 4, Radio 7, Radio 3, itunes, CDs, iPlayer etc. at distances between 4 feet - at my desk - and 9 feet in the armchair. (I work from home mostly).

I simply could not have a system that induced 'fatigue' or it would be out of the the next day! (Ebay anyway.)

A

Anonymous

last time I had to strain, it was resolved by taking some Turbo lax.

Seriously though, just sat back in a comfy chair with a nice glass of wine playing tracks I was familiar with.

I will have another listen over the weekend, and maybe hook the rega's up (removing them from the loft first).

idc

I have always associated a forward, bright sound with fatigue, so a tinny little radio, or the rubbish cheap micro at work annoy after a while. Listening to analyse is more tiring than listening whilst doing something else as concentrating is hard over time.

A

Anonymous

The type of music being listened to can also play a part. For instance, I can listen to vocals or classical far longer than I can with rock.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Rega R3's in the loft?? breath.......... I could give them a loving homeb
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Agreed. The R3s are very good speakers but they're quite well lit in the treble. So is the MF A5. Together I can easily see why there's listener fatigue, too much light!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Agreed. The R3s are very good speakers but they're quite well lit in the treble. So is the MF A5. Together I can easily see why there's listener fatigue, too much light!

The OP's Rega R3's are in his loft.

The fatigue is coming from the PMC GB1i's and the MF A5

A

Anonymous

Ooh, beg your pardon. Too much wine. Well, the A5 is still not an easy going amp and has a fairly forward balance. Just my experience of it.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
igglebert:Agreed. The R3s are very good speakers but they're quite well lit in the treble. So is the MF A5. Together I can easily see why there's listener fatigue, too much light!

ÿ

And the laptop, squeezebox and DAC I would imagineÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:chebby:

And the laptop, squeezebox and DAC I would imagine

Given that the OP's DacMagic and your CD192 are both using the very same Wolfson WM8740 DACs to convert and upsample you mean?
emotion-1.gif

Unlikely. My experience of Arcam CDPs and the CA Dacmagic are that they are both a little warm if anything.

[I'll get my coat...]

A

Anonymous

chebby:JoelSim:

Given that the OP's DacMagic and your CD192 are both using the very same Wolfson WM8740 DACs to convert and upsample you mean?
emotion-1.gif

Unlikely.

Ouch!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
idc:Listening to analyse is more tiring than listening whilst doing something else as concentrating is hard over time.

I think this is very true and believe I`ve been analyzing rather than listening of late and need to relax more and let the music do its` magic. Any tips ( apart from alcohol or herbal cigarettes)

I've commented a number of times on the forum - once you've had an extended listen, could you live with a particular sound? Do all the different components gel together and allow for longer listening sessions? For most of us it comes down, generally, to gut feeling.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
AKL:chebby:JoelSim:

Given that the OP'sÿ DacMagic and your CD192 are both using the very same Wolfson WM8740 DACs to convert and upsample you mean?
emotion-1.gif

Unlikely.

Ouch!

I think there's rather more to it than the DACs that are used Chebby. You know that as well as I do.

ÿ

idc

basshound:idc:Listening to analyse is more tiring than listening whilst doing something else as concentrating is hard over time. I think this is very true and believe I`ve been analyzing rather than listening of late and need to relax more and let the music do its` magic. Any tips ( apart from alcohol or herbal cigarettes)

The main thing I do is to do something else as well as listen. So I spend time on the internet, this forum and reading, which means I can stop if something sounds a bit 'oooo', but an album can also fly by and suddenly end, a bit like driving whilst relaxed and you get there without remembering the journey.

(P.S - I also like getting blootered, maroculous, slaughtered, pished, oot ma tiny little face and I give up wehn mi toping gowes winky
emotion-22.gif
)

A

Anonymous

idc:
(P.S - I also like getting blootered, maroculous, slaughtered, pished, oot ma tiny little face and I give up wehn mi toping gowes winky
emotion-22.gif
)

LOL...we're all the same really...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts