List of possible upgrades, Plenty of time. But want to start the thought process.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
shooter said:
And i have 2 left feet, what a pair. :dance: Nover done a self build but i'd imagine you'd have great satisfaction in doing so, minimal amount of soldering required using minidsp.

gone off the idea of minidsp. At least the cheap version.

I am keeping my eye out for 2nd hand Helicon 400s.

In the meantime, I am sat loving my Ikons, and if I am fair, for 90% of my music, the bass is just fine.

Right now it's Gregor Samsor - Rest.

:)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
What circumstances decide which system you use?

Or, to put it another way, which one of your set-ups provides you with more pleasure listening to?

regards

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

Or, to put it another way, which one of your set-ups provides you with more pleasure listening to?

regards

It's an interesting question DM.

Right now, Arcam/Dali Ikon6

The ADMs are great speakers, but are on my main pc. And for the moment my sub is in use with the tv. The ADMs without sub are great quality, but overall, the Dalis extra bass warmth, and IMO better treble, draw me in more. So I would rather sit here, on a comfy sofa, with my Windows tablet and enjoy them.

Active is without doubt the way forward for ultimate SQ, but the benefits IMO are (to say the least) exaggerated by a small group of people who seem to do their utmost to put people off bothering. I don't sense any boom, or tizz. And the only thing I would change is more available bass depth.

If I was in the market for a new system, based on standmounts... I would not buy passive speakers. But my wish is for full range speakers and the choice in my price range is very limited. The ADM 40s seemed to be the best possible buy, but were sadly dropped, obviously in favour of a potential big seller.

So, my (current) thought is to sit tight, and go for more of the same, but with a fuller range.

Yes, it leaves me potentially wanting an amp upgrade, but what the heck... :)

And once I sort out another sub, I will enjoy the ADMs more and then it will be simply when I need to use the PC, which for me is very often :)

T

the record spot

fr0g said:
I don't sense any boom, or tizz.

I agree, And I've heard my fair share of actives and passives in recent years. Marketing hype isn't restricted to a select few it seems!

John Duncan

fr0g said:
drummerman said:

regards

The ADMs are great speakers, but are on my main pc. And for the moment my sub is in use with the tv. The ADMs without sub are great quality, but overall, the Dalis extra bass warmth, and IMO better treble, draw me in more. So I would rather sit here, on a comfy sofa, with my Windows tablet and enjoy them.

Active is without doubt the way forward for ultimate SQ, but the benefits IMO are (to say the least) exaggerated by a small group of people who seem to do their utmost to put people off bothering. I don't sense any boom, or tizz. And the only thing I would change is more available bass depth.

If I was in the market for a new system, based on standmounts... I would not buy passive speakers. But my wish is for full range speakers and the choice in my price range is very limited. The ADM 40s seemed to be the best possible buy, but were sadly dropped, obviously in favour of a potential big seller.

So, my (current) thought is to sit tight, and go for more of the same, but with a fuller range.

And once I sort out another sub, I will enjoy the ADMs more and then it will be simply when I need to use the PC, which for me is very often :)
This post contains so much good sense that it bears repeating, without any editorialising.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
drummerman said:

regards

This post contains so much good sense that it bears repeating, without any editorialising.

I dunno, you could have edited out the unwanted carriage return (as I was using the tablet without keyboard) :)

How anyone can do that for any length of time is beyond me! :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I love proper computers.

Tell me about it. The 11" Windows tablet beats my old Galaxy tab into a cocked hat. But this 17" Asus, with a real mouse plugged in...Ahhhh. Bisto. I can relax again.

Tablets only,omg. I'd rather go back to black and white TV.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just thought I would post an image of my listening area.

I am still open minded (but have more idea now).

I imagine the area won't take the planar speakers, which is a shame...

But a pair of larger Dalis would fit nicely.

I have moved my BK sub here temporarily, and I am surprised but the bass issue is nowhere near as bad as I would have thought without the filtering. It isn't "right", but interesting anyway.

By the way, the TV is temporary and not really used (waiting for a room conversion).

Ultimately I will only have the music stuff here, without the TV and furniture...

PA190008-Edit.JPG

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
Just thought I would post an image of my listening area.

I am still open minded (but have more idea now).

I imagine the area won't take the planar speakers, which is a shame...

But a pair of larger Dalis would fit nicely.

I have moved my BK sub here temporarily, and I am surprised but the bass issue is nowhere near as bad as I would have thought without the filtering. It isn't "right", but interesting anyway.

By the way, the TV is temporary and not really used (waiting for a room conversion).

Ultimately I will only have the music stuff here, without the TV and furniture...

PA190008-Edit.JPG

You should get a coaster under that glass - quick!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
With that amount of space, some Dynaudios would be worth a try. Nice room, by the way - makes my hovel seem very humble!

That would be Excite series? I think I can demo them.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again....you need bigger bass drivers if you're not going to cross over your speakers.

The helicon 400mk2 will not do that much more sheer volume (if at all) than the current speakers you own.

Helicon 800's have 8inch speakers but may be too expensive. Look for dual 8's or I think this issue will haunt you ad infinitum.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
alienmango said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again....you need bigger bass drivers if you're not going to cross over your speakers.

The helicon 400mk2 will not do that much more sheer volume (if at all) than the current speakers you own.

Helicon 800's have 8inch speakers but may be too expensive. Look for dual 8's or I think this issue will haunt you ad infinitum.

The low bass on the Helicon 400 is quoted as 31.5 Hz. But more importantly I doubt they would start to lose it anywhere near as quickly, and a sub with no xover would be fine if I felt I needed extra kick. They are definitely a 2nd handoption though. 4.5 grand in UK money here.

I am pondering other solutions (thus the thread title;) ).

Ones that the local dealers stock...

KEF Q900 (cheap option)

Elac FS 247 Black edition.

I am even re-considering standmounts... The Dynaudio Focus 110 active to be precise. It has in-built filter if you want to use a sub. Grab a Velodyne 800 ultra and those and it comes in under budget :)

Definitely prefer floorstanders though.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
fr0g said:
I don't sense any boom, or tizz.

I agree, And I've heard my fair share of actives and passives in recent years. Marketing hype isn't restricted to a select few it seems!

I'd also agree!

I personally considered the bass performance on my Naim SBL's to be one of the strong points of the design. No reflex port, and a mechanical design that gave a combination of an infinite baffle/acoustic suspension bass loading, gave great in-room extension, pitch accurate, clean bass, with no boom or overhang, and no 'tizz' in the treble to be heard either - after all one would hope that the Scanspeak tweeter the SBL uses was worth it's fine reputation.

Oh, and even thought active operation was an option with them courtesy of the external crossover, I ran mine pasive.

JB

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just an update.

I have ordered the Avi ADM9RS plus Avi sub.

WHHHAAT!

Yep, after a few weeks of investigation, reading, listening and comparing, I came to the conclusion that if I bought floorstanders they would need to be very big if I wanted to avoid a sub. Not in keeping with the decor, and to be honest, not what I want to look at either.

So then I started looking into good quality standmounters and sub. My budget started to creep up, and I had realised I would need a new amp.

So, as my old 9Ts which I use in my "study" compare very favourably, with the existing Dali / Arcam setup in that position, I went for the devil I knew, only better. The speaker/amp/sub setup I was considering would have come in at over £4000 and with no guarantee of sounding any better, and possibly leading me back to the rocky path of "trying to improve".

I'm not an obsessive tweaker or upgrader, so...ADM9RS plus sub it is. It also meant I could do it now, rather than in Spring! :)

Thanks for all the help(some posts above lead me to some of the conclusions I made)

I

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good to hear. I hope you will post your impressions and comparisons with the 9T here.

If anyone can do that in an unbiased way it would be you.

regards

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Good to hear. I hope you will post your impressions and comparisons with the 9T here.

If anyone can do that in an unbiased way it would be you.

regards

As I mentioned elsewhere, I shall certainly give my (unbiased and of course) purely subjective impressions. They will only be based on memory (from last weeks listening session in the place where the new ones are going) for now mind you, as I intend to install and enjoy, rather than sit and faff around with AB comparisons...(which inevitably I WILL end up doing in the future)...

And thanks for the vote of confidence...;)

John Duncan said:
As discussed elsewhere, cool. It will be interesting to hear your comparison between the old and new drivers.

Cheers, indeed, I can't wait to sit and listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts