kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
hi chesterfieldhouse,
please let us know of what Linn we are talking about.
As you know there are big differences between the Classic and the Akurate, and not only what concerns the price.
Regards

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
Anyone have any experience with Linn equipment? Particularly CD/amps, is the sound, tonally,warm/bright?
[/quote]

I don't think Linn have a house sound! Genki cd player is bright while LK series are natural and most of their speakers are on the warm side. Great build qaulity particularly their new line which would give any silly price high end a run for the money.

A

Anonymous

Hello, & thanks for the response. l'm looking for a CD & amp to power a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's, l will be looking to pick up second hand. Considering either Cyrus, Musical Fidelity or Linn. As this is for a second system, l'm looking to spend a couple of hundred on each, so, in terms of Linn l would be looking at a Mimik CD & Majik amp. Any views, suggestions welcomed.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Most people believe that when buying Linn you should combine with other Linn products only ( CDP, ampli and speakers ).
This nevertheless pushes up the price quite a lot and I never considered this.
The Majik series I do not know so well and I cannot give you any recommendation on these unfortunately.
The A 5 of Musical Fidelity though is one of my favourits and it can deliver a gourgeous and fast sound with the right speakers.

Regards

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="kungula"]The A 5 of Musical Fidelity though is one of my favourits [/quote]

£200 each! gula not £4 figures :)

Magik has 33 watts on tap but does sound more powerful than the spec suggest so it wouldn't have any problem driving MA speakers as long as you are not planing to host a 2008 woodstock!. Mimick is a polite version of highly regards Genki and cost about £150 - £200 less in 2nd hand market. It wouldn't offend you but if you can strech the budget, Genki will give you so much more excitment.

A

Anonymous

From what l've heard/seen/read, l would agree Thaiman. As you say, the Genki would stretch the budget, second hand approx' £550 - &600.

Toying with the Cyrus 6 CD & 3 amp, what do you think? Always the option of up-grading in the future.

goodmar

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Being a very satisfied owner of a Genki/Wakonda/LK140 setup, agree with the sentiments. Genki does give you so much more (disagree with the brightness comment - just so much more detail retrieval - dry is how I would describe the sound). When auditioning I even found a big difference soundwise between LK85 and LK140. But you will pay more than double your budget on the second hand market for the privilege.

A

Anonymous

OK, daft question, depends on preference etc, but a choice between Linn Mimik/Majik & Cyrus CD6/3 amp; what would you say?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]

OK, daft question, depends on preference etc, but a choice between Linn
Mimik/Majik & Cyrus CD6/3 amp; what would you say?
[/quote]

Not a daft answer but I would go for CD6s and Magik! (I still think the 7Q is a Cyrus's gem but it might strech budget a bit around £450)

Oh Goodmar when I said Genki is bright doesn't mean it's bad...may be I should said "up front" sound :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts