Linn Sneeky DS or Audiolab 8200CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im a bit confused about the whole digital streaming world! Most of my Cd`s have now been uploaded onto my laptop and I`m looking to take advantage of this for convenience and remote access (being able to control what plays from my laptop) without the laptop having to be switched on.

Im confused as to the difference between digital streaming of the Linn and the Audiolab doing the same job through its DAC, indeed is the Linn simply a DAC with a pre/power amp on board.

What would be expected to sound the best of the two if indeed they are doing their job in a similar manner? Is information lost when uploading a CD onto a laptop and then the laptop used a source to play music through either the Linn or Audiolab? Finally when music is downloaded from say I-tunes is the qulaity exactly the same as from a physical CD of same recording bought from the store? As you can tell from my comments I am a little confused!!!

Thank you in advance for any help.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Going at a slight tangent...

Worth remembering the £900 Audiolab 8200CDQ too.

It also has a built-in preamp (with three line-level analogue inputs) and has RCA or balanced XLR outputs for connection to a power-amp or direct connection to any number of active speakers. (Some of which have balanced XLR connections.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Linn and Audiolab are somewhat different animals, apart from the obvious bit about one being a CD player with digital inputs and the other having power amplification but no disc drive.

The Linn also has a network streaming client built-in, whereas the Audiolab doesn't, and it's this that's needed to stream music from your computer. With the Audiolab, you'll also need to have a streaming client unit connected to its digital inputs, whereas the Linn will simply connect to your home network using an Ethernet cable, and take music over the network from your laptop - provided that laptop has streaming software loaded.

manicm

With the Linn DS, you can install uPnP server software as well like Twonky or Asset on your laptop, or you could get a dedicated NAS (network attached storage) drive connected to your network for storing your music.

Take note however that Linn's recommended installation for any DS is ethernet wired, or using 'home plugs' at worst.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not just Ethernet wired - it has no wireless capability - but wired to a dedicated switch with the network storage, rather than going through the main network router.

All very sensible, agreed, but it may limit your options in a typical domestic set-up.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Beware of Twonky Media (which you'll need if you go for the Sneaky) i found it an absolute nightmare!

I did get it sorted in the end though.

I also found Songbook DS not the most reliable and it cost me £50, i think it has come down in price since then though,

regarding the Sneaky, cant speak more highly of it!

It really comes into it's own when you disable the built in amp.

regards danny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts