Linn Numerik DAC or Arcam CD192?

T

the record spot

Which would you go for - Linn Numerik DAC onto my Linn Mimik, or the Arcam CD192 at a bargain price?

A

Anonymous

the record spot: Linn Numerik DAC

Do you mean in your CD player, or an external? If external do you have a link to some info? I'd go for the Linn anyway.

T

the record spot

The Numerik's an external DAC to hook up to my current Linn Mimik - I've seen a fine offer on one but there's a hot deal on the 192 too. Tricky one.

T

the record spot

Just out of interest, I rang up a local dealer who stocks a good line in decent used gear (in fact, that's the crux of his business, although he is an official distributor for EAR and Leema components). He didn't rate the Linn DAC too much and reckoned it might be money wasted.

He did mention a DAC I heard about a while back called Flying Cow (not to be confused with Flying Mole). It seems to get an excellent write up online and he's got it for half the price of the Linn DAC, plus I can return it.

This is fast turning into a minefield....maybe I should just buy a new telly!
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:Of the two, I'd get the DAC. But (big but), I'll bet the 200 quid Cambridge will give it a run for its money (and looks more versatile - 24/96, optical, balanced). Aesthetics aside, obv.

I saw this in the mag the other day and had it in mind; the looks are fine and not a problem, so yes, it's on the shortlist. Which seems to be expanding rapidly...!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Numerik's supposed to work very well with the Mimik so I'd go for that.
I was torn between upgrading my CD82T to CD192 spec, or getting an offboard DAC, I ended up buying a second-hand Ikemi.

T

the record spot

If you had the option of the CD192 at £350 however, what would you do then?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't buy the Arcam if you paid me £350. So my vote goes for the Linn.

John Duncan

the record spot:If you had the option of the CD192 at £350 however, what would you do then?

Wait until I've bought my Cambridge! Doesn't the Numerik work best with the dedicated transport (with separate clock sync) though?

T

the record spot

Well, when it was released, it came with the Linn Karik, so they were kind of a duo. The blurb in the Mimik handbook clearly states you can use the Numerik with it, hence when I saw one the other day, it got me thinking along those lines.

Seeing the CD192 for practically a third of its original retail price got me thinking down that route and now there's all this and a Flying Cow too. I need a holiday.

(Yes, would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Cambridge too though John!)

(I'll try and hold off!)

T

the record spot

Octopo:I wouldn't buy the Arcam if you paid me £350. So my vote goes for the Linn.

Normally I wouldn't have leaned towards the Arcam either, but the write-ups are good, dynamic, good range, nice detail, etc., and it's a high end player. My Linn was around £800 on release, so it could've been a good option. Build is decent, reviews are good (okay, your "to the point" one is less than stellar granted...!) and it merits shortlisting I thought.

A

Anonymous

OK give me say £300?... no, obviously that's just my view, thanks for bringing it up or I would have been besieged by Arcam soldiers later. The 192 is OK if you like that kind of thing, the Linn would do a better job though IMO.

John Duncan

the record spot:Well, when it was released, it came with the Linn Karik, so they were kind of a duo. The blurb in the Mimik handbook clearly states you can use the Numerik with it, hence when I saw one the other day, it got me thinking along those lines.

Seeing the CD192 for practically a third of its original retail price got me thinking down that route and now there's all this and a Flying Cow too. I need a holiday.

(Yes, would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Cambridge too though John!)

(I'll try and hold off!)

Not in shops till October........

T

the record spot

Hmmm, doubt I can wait - the Flying Cow I can get for £175, the Numerik £300, both I can return. Seems like everyone is in favour of the offboard DAC in principle as opposed to a different player. I'll probably have a listen at any rate and if neither work out, there's always the Cambridge to consider next month.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Can you get a demo of the Arcam in your system?

If so, why not try the Numerik and the Arcam in your system, if you prefer the Arcam, then buy that, sell the Mimik, and then keep the money from the Mimilk for possible Cambridge DAC purchase later?

T

the record spot

No can do; the Arcam is in Newcastle, I'm in Edinburgh. The rest I can do locally. Currently checking out a couple of professional DACs as well now from M-Audio (the manufacturers of the Flying Cow); they have the FC and another called the SuperDac which appears to have a good spec.

Either way, if I can achieve the improvement I need for less than what I initially thought might be a £600 spend, I'd prefer to do that. Probably wouldn't go down the Arcam & Cambridge route, but thanks for the idea; it's a good one (Mrs. R_S likely to be less than impressed!).

T

the record spot

Yep, undoubtedly, although I've forgotten the benefits of the Exposure 2010s too....maybe I should just change the speakers!

(No, before you all start on those, they're staying!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts