Linn Classik v Naim Uniti

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have the most recent version of the Linn Classik music and may be looking to upgrade if I can find something comparable. Space is an issue for me so a one box solution is preferable but not essential. I use the Classik with a set of B&W 685's as they are just perfect for the rock music I listen to in the main.

I am really considering abandoning CD's and just using mp3's from either my HDD or iMac through iTunes. One option is to continue to use the Classik and pair up with something like Airport Express for the wireless capability.

However, upgrade wise, the Linn doesn't have some of the offerings that the Naim Uniti has (DAB etc) and I wanted to ask people's opinions of this unit, if possible how it compares sound wise to the Linn. I would go and demo one obviously but am just at curiosity phase.

Cheers

John Duncan

I always liked the Classik a lot, though if i'm honest I found it a *little* bit two-dimensional. Great for the money though.

Depends on what you want from the Uniti - if you're only looking for DAB I'd say don't bother, since DAB itself is pretty rubbish, and is no better on the Uniti than on any other device. What the Uniti does offer over the Classik, however, is fairly multitudinous. The abiity to take digital sources (I lisen to the vast majority of my music via iMac->Spotify->Airfoil->Airport Express->Uniti), the ability to act as a client for your iMac (though with some transcode fiddling if you use Apple Lossless - Elgato Eyeconnect is probably your best bet in that case, though Twonky is a bit beter if you use other codecs), the ability to just plug your hard drive in and go, plugging in a USB stick with a 24/96 flac download of Tommy, that sort of thing. Andrew has several blogs on the various things he's done with - or had done to - his, and my long-termer on the subject is here...

It's not perfect, but it's about as near as you can get in one box
smiley-laughing.gif

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
John

Thanks for that it's really helpful. DAB is not really the driver for change; more the additional features and advanced technology over the Linn that's getting me curious.

Couple of further questions - given that I want to use its digital capability does the Uniti massively differ from the Unitiqute in other that lack of CD player?

Secondly, and admittedly subjectively, how does the Uniti sound compared to the Linn? I do like a high degree of bass and weight to my music.

Thanks again

John Duncan

Paulq said:
given that I want to use its digital capability does the Uniti massively differ from the Unitiqute in other that lack of CD player?

I only had the Qute in place for an hour or so (before Mrs JD sais "no good - where's the CD player?"), it sounded pretty similar, though it's lesser power would certainly have an effect in some circumstances - YMMV.

Paulq said:
Secondly, and admittedly subjectively, how does the Uniti sound compared to the Linn? I do like a high degree of bass and weight to my music.

Too long since I heard the Classik for me to say, but an audition is of course obligatory. However, I don't think you'd be disappointed by the 'robust' nature of the Uniti
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts