Linn Amplifiers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've recently bought a Linn Majik DS. What a wonderful streamer it is; so much better than the Sonos it replaced. Well I supose it should be given the price difference, but well worth it! The DS is so good I'm wondering about changing my amplification to Linn, given wht you hear about Linn sounding better with Linn, but have no experience of Linn amplifiers. My current amps are Musical Fidelity A308 and A3cr bi-amping Castle Howard S3s. I don't like an over bright sound, but like plenty of dynamics and emotion in my music. Unfortunately I live miles from any Linn dealers, or any hi-fi dealers, so any suggestions as to what sort of changes to the sound Linn amplifiers would make would be of great help.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jsjmayes said:
Hi, I've recently bought a Linn Majik DS. What a wonderful streamer it is; so much better than the Sonos it replaced. Well I supose it should be given the price difference, but well worth it! The DS is so good I'm wondering about changing my amplification to Linn, given wht you hear about Linn sounding better with Linn, but have no experience of Linn amplifiers. My current amps are Musical Fidelity A308 and A3cr bi-amping Castle Howard S3s. I don't like an over bright sound, but like plenty of dynamics and emotion in my music. Unfortunately I live miles from any Linn dealers, or any hi-fi dealers, so any suggestions as to what sort of changes to the sound Linn amplifiers would make would be of great help.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Before I start, please free to contribute to, and learn from this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-linn-ds-dsm-thread

You are right about the DS, which is brilliant......so I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I much prefer talking about stuff I like, in case I end up putting people off trying for themselves, so please take my comments as just my opinion.

The Linn forum is full of people who like Linn amps (not surprisingly), but I don't get on with them. I have their old model (Kairn / LK100), which I do like.

I wouldn't exactly call them bright, but I find the presentation a little sterile....it is certainly detailed and rhythmic, but for me lacks emotion and leaves me cold. So what I am saying is that you need to try it and not assume that it will give you the same pleasure as the DS.

Their Active stuff sounds much better, but is so expensive, that it's not the way I would spend that sort of money.

My taste lies with Class A and Valves, which is inclined to shape the advice that I give......if you are in the market for an amp and give a budget, you should get some good suggestion (though don't let me put you off trying Linn)

I'd happily echo Cno's words.

Looking up your speakers, they seem to quite sensitive (efficient) and easy to drive, so might actually suit modestly powered valve amps, but it depends what sort of presentation you seek, and to some extent, your musical tastes.

With the budget you might have in mind, I'd see a day trip or even an overnight a small investment if it meant hearing a range of option at a good dealer - probably a Linn one, so you can hear your DS. It depends if this is part of a upgrade route to a full Linn system, or more that you imagine the MFs are not doing the speakers justice.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jsjmayes said:

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Before I start, please free to contribute to, and learn from this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-linn-ds-dsm-thread

You are right about the DS, which is brilliant......so I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I much prefer talking about stuff I like, in case I end up putting people off trying for themselves, so please take my comments as just my opinion.

The Linn forum is full of people who like Linn amps (not surprisingly), but I don't get on with them. I have their old model (Kairn / LK100), which I do like.

I wouldn't exactly call them bright, but I find the presentation a little sterile....it is certainly detailed and rhythmic, but for me lacks emotion and leaves me cold. So what I am saying is that you need to try it and not assume that it will give you the same pleasure as the DS.

Their Active stuff sounds much better, but is so expensive, that it's not the way I would spend that sort of money.

My taste lies with Class A and Valves, which is inclined to shape the advice that I give......if you are in the market for an amp and give a budget, you should get some good suggestion (though don't let me put you off trying Linn)

I am also an happy owner of an Akurate DS which I find absolutely stunning...but I also agree 100% with Cno. I have been to a few full Linn demo with Linn streamer, amplification, speakers and I was always left a bit disappointed. As Cno said...it was very detailed but lacking emotions...all the time.

It was only when I heard the Akurate DS in a different system (much similar to mine) that I decided to take the plunge as I could really see what this unit is capable of.

Never listened to any Active system from Linn...but if Cno says those are good they must be then :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I think they more or less confirm my gut feeling. I certainly don't want a sterile sound!

I shall have a listen to an all Linn set-up, but its going to be the end of Febraury before I can fit that in (one of the problems of living in a remote area!)

I shall also widen my nets a bit. I am conscious that the amps and speakers are getting on a bit and the speakers are irrepairable given Castle Skipton's sad demise. Don't know if either of them is particularly a weak link and, if I am to replace either or both, I would want an improvement in sound. Think I'll also look at current Musical Fidelity for amplification and PMC for speakers.

Many thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Linn DS thread, very interesting.

Many thanks for your comments.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Amps brands to check out are Musical Fidelity, Sugden, Electrocompaniet, Pathos and Audio Analogue.

Remember, one man's sterile, is another man's musical.

Let us know how your search goes.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Not to mention Naim, Leben, Unison Research and another plug for Analogue Audio. You can't beat valve amps (the last three) for dynamics and emotion.

We agree on the valve amps (surely the middle two).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
AA make hybrids, as do Unison Research in the Unicos. Mention Naim because they happen to be pretty bloody good - and better than your favourite MF :cheer: :cheers: ;) .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
AA make hybrids, as do Unison Research in the Unicos. Mention Naim because they happen to be pretty bloody good - and better than your favourite MF :cheer: :cheers: ;) .

I never knew that.....which range?............I'm aware of their AB and lovely Class A SS amps.

EDIT. Found it....it's the Verdi range......learn something every day......cheers AL. :beer:

As for your MF comment, all I have to say is :p :p :p :p :p :p

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've listened to an active Linn system but wasn't that impressed. I found the sound to be a bit bright and bass light. Plenty of detail mind you, but for me it didn't have the " wow" factor, especially considering the high cost. Also, it just had too many boxes for my liking.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all the comments. Think I'll stick with Musical Fidelity amplification. M6 500i is on shortlist to audition. Speaker-wise, am wanting to audition, at least, Dynaudio Focus 160 and 260 and PMC Twenty 23. Now all I need to do is find a dealer who stocks them all and who I can get to!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jsjmayes said:
Many thanks for all the comments. Think I'll stick with Musical Fidelity amplification. M6 500i is on shortlist to audition. Speaker-wise, am wanting to audition, at least, Dynaudio Focus 160 and 260 and PMC Twenty 23. Now all I need to do is find a dealer who stocks them all and who I can get to!

Make sure you listen to the MF AMS35i as well.....imo it's much more musical, and sounds way more powerful than it's rating would suggest (ie. more like 200W). I have a thread on it: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-musical-fidelity-ams-35i-thread

Report back with how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts