Light-touch moderation

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems the mods have given up on moderation. All sorts of low-level unpleasantness goes on without anyone lifting a finger. Ad hominem posts go unchecked. The obscenity filter has stopped working. And the process for reporting out-of-order posts is useless. Some regular posters have left or virtually stopped posting. Could this be why?

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
This is why I've pretty much given up on using the website...and I would say it reflects very badly on the magazine

Hopefully there will be a shake up soon and the website can get back to what it was when it had rules and standerds

a couple of times I tried to use the report button when threads got out of hand,I got no response from any mods
When I first joined up anyone who Evan slightly steeped out of Line would be jumped on and warned now anything goes and as a result the threads have

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Suffered,

and apparently if I wanted to contribute more I couldn't as this forum is making it pretty difficult to complete a post.

a magazine who you go to for advise on spending big money on tech can't seem to put a forum together that works :-(

sorry to sound negative but it's only because at one time I really enjoyed this website and it's fallen so far from what it was

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it is related, but members like the "Major" and others are leaving the forum.

This new format does not help, IMO the site went from bad to worse!!!

Posting from my ipad is a nightmare, and i'm not the only one stating this!

you see less and less people posting, i don't have the numbers but they surely do, and i bet that the post number have decreased since the new site...

D

Deleted member 2457

The website is definitely a lot different to what it used to be. I think I will always be a member but see myself posting a lot less due to various reasons really.

John Duncan

Well. I'm sorry if you think it's gone a bit downhill; I must certainly hold my hands up and say I haven't been able to spend as much time on here recently, and viewing on mobile is a bit of a chore which doesn't help. However, I'll have a word with the other mods and see if we can address your concerns. In the meantime, if you have issues with particular posts or threads, and absent a working reporting mechanism, do mail me on the address below as I monitor it pretty constantly and will always dive in on request.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Well. I'm sorry if you think it's gone a bit downhill; I must certainly hold my hands up and say I haven't been able to spend as much time on here recently, and viewing on mobile is a bit of a chore which doesn't help. However, I'll have a word with the other mods and see if we can address your concerns. In the meantime, if you have issues with particular posts or threads, and absent a working reporting mechanism, do mail me on the address below as I monitor it pretty constantly and will always dive in on request.

John, many thanks for replying, and great to know you're on the case. I hadn't seen you around recently. No doubt my oversight.

I know you're very busy and WHF don't reward you lavishly (read: at all) for your work. My post wasn't in any sense intended as a criticism of you. It was meant as a comment on WHF's management of the forum, which seems to me to have become rather hands off. I suspect part of the problem is that the mods have had to devote so much time to dealing with the fall-out of the upgrade, as others here have suggested.

I happen to think interventionist moderation is generally a good thing. It sets standards and makes people think twice before posting borderline aggressive or insulting stuff. Obviously some disagree, and the mods have to walk a fine line.

Matt

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Not that I post much these days, but I prefer to see as little as possible.

I really hate it when I log in and see mention of "it kicking off" only for the offending posts to have gone...call me nosey if you like. But it'sa free world, and imo, freedom of speech is paramount.

Someone piddles you off...ignore them Their words can remain for all to see (how intelligent or not they are). There is a chance they are having a bad day.

Censorship imo is much worse than lack of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts