LG or not LG?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Being the good little ostensibly poor student I am, I've been waiting for the sales to get the most bang for my £1500 going into my new sound system (to the point of building the speaker stands myself to save money). I saw that richer sounds (amongst others) have the LG 42LE4500 going for £500. Now, I was looking to spend exactly that on either a 37" or 40" LCD set if I could get them, so to see a 42" LED appear... well that seems too good to be true. Now I know at this price range I'm not going to get the best of the LED stable or even Freeview HD it seems (no real bother there, Scotland doesnt get it until june, and TVs have more than one HDMI socket for a reason), but I saw this screen's little brother in richer sounds a few months ago and I thought it looked rather good playing the Avatar blu-ray. So I ask, is it all it seems?

Cheers

EDIT: Just to throw in another curve, it seems there is a veritable plethora of 42" LG sets on the go at a good price:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/led-tv/lg/42le5300/lg-42le5300

Are these good buys?

A

Anonymous

if you can accommodate a 50inch set i'd reccomend the lg50pk350 plasma all day long over lg's cheaper lcd models, it's an excellent tv that is unbelievable value at around £550..

i own one and it's not all that far behind the £1500 panasonic 50v20 that i also used to own, it doesn't suffer from the same kind of motion issues the pana did either..

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
if you can accommodate a 50inch set i'd reccomend the lg50pk350 plasma all day long over lg's cheaper lcd models, it's an excellent tv that is unbelievable value at around £550..

i own one and it's not all that far behind the £1500 panasonic 50v20 that i also used to own, it doesn't suffer from the same kind of motion issues the pana did either..

Just bagged one of these myself from Richer Sounds, can't wait to pick it up this week :)

A

Anonymous

Well the background story to this is that I'm hunting around for a flat right now. I intended to get it all sorted before christmas but the agent turned out to be bent as a banana and the whole lot fell through. So now I'm on the lookout for a telly without knowing exactly what size the room is going to be and I'd rather not miss the deals in the sale, but suffice to say I won't be settling on anything that won't allow me a viewing distance of at least 2m. As a result I suspect the plasma might be too big.

A

Anonymous

in my opinion you would want to be 2.5 metres minimum from the pk350, but that would be fine..

can you wait till you have the flat sorted before buying? the deals wont be gone too fast, it's a real buyers market out there right now..

A

Anonymous

I wasn't intending to really move on anything unless I saw something rediculously good. At the moment I'm picking up the bits of the system that I can make use of in my parents' house while I am between properties (Blu ray player, speakers and the like). It was more to get an idea of what was worthwhile. It seems from looking at it that I'm just at that point in the market where the really good performers are £100 above what I want to spend
emotion-4.gif

Have you any other recommendations as to good TVs in that price range. As I said, I can go to £600, but then the interconnects push me slightly over where I really wanted to be as far as price is concerned.

A

Anonymous

if it were me, and i was needing a 40-42in tv for less then £600 i'd be looking at the sony 40ex503, samsung 40c650 or panasonic 42g20 plasma..
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:if it were me, and i was needing a 40-42in tv for less then £600 i'd be looking at the sony 40ex503, samsung 40c650 or panasonic 42g20 plasma..
emotion-21.gif

I looked at the samsung models and they look pretty nice. The only thing that concerns me are reports that the C650 has bad input lag for games and that the C580 for some reason doesn't support native 24Hz content and converts it to 50Hz before displaying, and that some users have noticed some judder when watching panning scenes on blu ray.

The panasonic and the Sony are both nice but tip the scales at £650 and are therefore a bit too expensive for me.

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Im still thinking about replacing my 3yr old panasonic 42pz70 (which just keeps going on and on and wont pack up!) for the lg 350 which max has .

the 50inch lgl works out just 2inchs wider and 3inches in height compared to my pana as the frame is a bit on the large side and so is the power consumption !!!

i looked at the lg but the only thing that put me off was the VERY SHINY screen . my lounge is fairly bright so it might not be a good idea , but for 549.99 it sounds a good idea !

i also looked at the pana 50s next to the lg with a screen no where near as shiny but was another 100 or so . if you want a 42 i can only recommend the pana plasma all day long over the others like the 42g like max advised .

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I saw 2 LG PK 350 with dead pixels in a store, I have owned 2 LG PK990 with dead pixels and image burn out of the box. I had 2 big wite stripes in the middle of my screen (looks like IR but it was out of the box)

A

Anonymous

i got the LG about 3 weeks ago + i have to say its brilliant,i am using the settings posted by AE Jim + others + couldnt be more pleased,i was worried about the size but its frame is only slighty bigger than the 42"Panny plasma i had before,top notch.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone seen a test review of the LG HX996TS ? I'm looking at purchasing an LG AIO and was going to buy the LG HX976TZW which got 5 stars from What Hifi :) but I wanted to know if the HX996TS was worth considering ? Is this new 3D sound technology from LG any good ? The other 3D sound AIO the LG HX906TX didn't get a very good review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts